Blues Trip down the Delta

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Blues Trip down the Delta

Postby gatorblue » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:27 am

My brother and I made our blues trip from Memphis down the Mississippi delta last month---got to play with a lot of musicians, visit a lot of jukes, historical places and visit with Muddy's brother in Rolling Fork. If any of you are interested, you can check out the story and journey, with pics at
the following link http://www.srsection.com/blues_trip_story.pdf

couple of youtubes from the trip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0cxpNNNkk

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx3iJWgg ... re=channel
gatorblue
Regular

Re: Blues Trip down the Delta

Postby farmaz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 pm

as i am from the uk i got such a drive to visit the delta at some point in my life, but as i got a record with the cops for possesion of marijuana i will never be able to get access to the usa now. I only ever been to Cape Cod in Boston as my cousion lives there, i went in 2002 & was planning on going to mississippi before my green card ran out but it never worked out :( :| :(

Are the people who live in the delta aware of the image the rest of the world has of the place?......Also does the style of delta blues still get played in the juke joints?.....

As soon as i finished checkin out BBQ Bob on youtube im gonna watch your video's. You lot from the usa are SO lucky to have that kinda legacy on your doorstep, all we got in the uk is.......clubs cream played in lol :( :( :(
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Hey Gator, thanks for the great report! It really brought some smiles to my work day here. I'd love to do that sometime. And, it is nice when you get welcomed by musicians that you've just met. I'm very shy about gettin' myself into those situations -- even though I hold my own on harp-- but I remember well the times when I've made new friends by gettin' a dose of hospitality. BTW, I like yer stuff.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gatorblue » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:26 am

Farmaz--yeah it's great that those of us here in the US have this slice of life to visit. I can't believe I waited this long to finally do it. I will be back, for sure.
Most of the jukes and clubs have great musicians who do it every day--very talented. I saw no SRV wanna-be's like you see most places. And there are still guys who do it the old way---fingerpicking. Everyone seems to jam a lot and are open to other musicians. There were some guys who were definitely into blues-rock, but most were much more traditional--whether acoustic or electric. I saw almost no egos---everyone was nice and very generous. When I played with Big Jerry, he had Memphis James sitting in that night. James was the kindest person and kept deferring to me on solos even tho he is 10X the guitarist I am. Just really good folks everywhere we went.

JeffL -- thanks for the kudos. If you play harp you'd be very welcome down there. Over the 4-5 days, I must have jammed with at least 6 different harp players and all but one were fellow travelers like me. If you go they'll make you feel at home.

While I'm sure the festivals are great, I purposely went when there were no major festivals going on. I wanted to experience all of the locals and not the famous guys who came in to play and fly out the next morning. I've seen most of them anyway, so I wanted the true local flavor. I am very glad I did it that way.
gatorblue
Regular

Return to Talking Blues