Blues Documentaries

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Blues Documentaries

Postby muddywolf » Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 am

Hows it going everyone?
I'm a huge fan of Blues documentaries.
Here are a few I would recommend.

1. You See Me Laughin' (Last of the Mississippi Hill Country Bluesmen)Featuring: R.L. Burnside, Asie Payton, Junior Kimbrough, and others

2. Deep Blues (Made by Robert Palmer the best blues historian in my opinion. Its basically a pilgrimage through the south from Fife and Drum music to present day circa 1995.)

3. The Howlin' Wolf Story (Can be found for free on Ovation Channel)( contains rare footage from Bukka White and Son House also.)

4. The Search for Robert Johnson (No Brainer. Also on Ovation.)

5. American Masters Muddy Waters awesome PBS Documentary

6. Bluesland (a documentary that can be found on Ovation Channel)

7. Bill Wymans Blues Odyssey (can be found on Ovation also)

Thats all I can think of right now.
Does anybody else have suggestions?
muddywolf
Regular

Re: Blues Documentaries

Postby ricochet » Tue May 18, 2010 10:52 pm

I'll just recommend against the deeply disappointing (and for me, infuriating) Martin Scorsese series on "The Blues" that PBS ran ~8 years ago.
ricochet
Regular

Postby stumblin » Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 am

ricochet wrote:I'll just recommend against the deeply disappointing (and for me, infuriating) Martin Scorsese series on "The Blues" that PBS ran ~8 years ago.

The Corey Harris instalment in that series, Feel Like Going Home isn't anywhere near as bad as the rest of them and it contains some fine performances.

The list above doesn't mention Honeyboy, which everyone should see.
Also on my "must see" list is The Blues Accordin' to Lightnin' Hopkins, you will not regret the $30 asking price, guaranteed.

That Bill Wyman documentary is (how can I phrase this politely?) very disappointing, maybe it's aimed at people with absolutely no knowledge of the Blues. If you're already a Blues fan with some historical knowledge, watching this film will be an experience akin to having prolonged and tedious root canal surgery.
stumblin
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 pm

My favorite is "Devil Got My Woman - Blues at Newport 1966". Performances by Skip James, Howlin' Wolf, Son House, the Rev. Pearly Brown, and Bukka White. Really great - and Wolf getting mad at Son House (for being an old man who can't handle liquor anymore) is great! Real Blues Heroes at their best and worst. Highly recommended.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby muddywolf » Wed May 19, 2010 11:09 pm

I know what you mean about the Bill Wyman Doc.
He sure does like to hear himself talk.
I thought it had its moments though. I liked the parts with Blind Willie Mctell, Howlin' Wolf, and the guy who plays Robert Johnsons 32-20 on the bass.
What specifically did you guys not like about the Martin Scorcese film.
I saw it a while back. I don't remember hating it.
Some of the footage from Blues at Newport 1966 is in the Howlin' Wolf Story as well.
Son House was pretty F'ed up on booze and Wolf dressed him down pretty good when he interrupted his set.
muddywolf
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu May 20, 2010 2:37 am

I don't even want to dredge up the ugly memories of Scorsese's "Blues." I posted long rants about it back then and got my blood pressure up.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Talking Blues