What a memorable day!

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

What a memorable day!

Postby Les R Forgue » Tue May 11, 2010 10:44 pm

Today I snagged both a deeply gratifying experience and what probably will be a fine memory.
Honeyboy (aka David) Edwards performed for a bit over one hour starting noon today, almost non-stop, at the Chicago Cultural Center (what used to be the main public library). That is less than one mile from my job, so I was able to attend without taking a day off work. Honeyboy was accompanied by his Siamese twin, Michael Frank, on harp, and someone I never heard of but just now learned is quite famous, Doug McLeod on extremely low-profile, subdued backup guitar (mostly bass rhythm phrasing). Lucky me, I got a seat front row center. At almost 95 years of age, Honeyboy seems maybe a little deaf, a little arthritic, and not a little forgetful, but he is yet and still Honeyboy Edwards, the blues master, and quite a pleasure to see and hear. Michael Frank, now some think of him as a blues businessman, but I say he is good on that harp, he should be after 40 or 50 years, and he is. Both he and Doug McLeod exhibited skill and patience in accompanying Honeyboy with his characteristic idiosyncratic timing of turnarounds and changes; although I must say Honeyboy today followed much more predictable timing than I remember from 35 years ago. Honeyboy, he dished out a varied selection of goodies, some Robert Johnson flavored, some latter-Maxwell Street flavored, and even one funk-flavored piece. It was a most joyful and memorable experience for me. Wish you all could have been there. (Maybe some of you was?)
Les R Forgue
Regular

Re: What a memorable day!

Postby ricochet » Wed May 12, 2010 2:42 pm

That's terrific! I'd love to hear him myself.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed May 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Yeah, I'd like to see him too. I'm tryin' to catch all the old-timers as much as I can, for obvious reasons.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Wed May 12, 2010 4:51 pm

That's fantastic, Les 8) What a great day for you.
I've been lucky enough to see Honeyboy play several times, and have had the chance to exchange a few words with him on each occasion, he's a true Blues Legend and a wonderful approachable and patient person.
I do wonder though whether he'll be back in the UK again, I guess he's a solid touring machine, but 95 is kind of a little bit close to retirement even for a die-hard like him.
stumblin
Regular

Postby Les R Forgue » Wed May 12, 2010 5:25 pm

stumblin wrote:That's fantastic, Les 8) What a great day for you.
I've been lucky enough to see Honeyboy play several times, and have had the chance to exchange a few words with him on each occasion, he's a true Blues Legend and a wonderful approachable and patient person.
I do wonder though whether he'll be back in the UK again, I guess he's a solid touring machine, but 95 is kind of a little bit close to retirement even for a die-hard like him.

Hey Stumblin,
Glad you got to meet him like that; Yes despite his world reknown he was always been approachable and never thought he was too big time to be friendly, that is why he is so admired in his local neighborhood; (well actually I don't know whether he still lives in that same place where he did in the 1970s - 80s.) I been to his house back then twice, but only the first time did he play anything at all, and did not sing; That first time, I was invited by a drummer named Kansas City Red to come and jam, but when I got there, I found out it was supposed to be an 'official' practice session with just only Honeyboy, Red, and Michael Frank, Michael gently made that clear to me, so I kept my guitar in its case and sat back to listen, but Red had not brought any drums, and after Honeyboy and Michael (on harp) spent a long time tuning up, the would-be practice session soon deteriorated into a reminiscing and general conversation session.
The second time I was at Honeyboy's crib (which was less than a quarter mile from my in-laws) was years later; my wife and this other woman they worked for a little newspaper and had arranged to interview Honeyboy at his home like that, and I went with them since I had been before; That maybe 35 years ago, but Honeyboy was already a senior citizen; during the interview, a young girl, maybe 17 yrs old she looked, she came in the door and walked past us to another part of the house; my wife's colleague, Laura, she asked Honeyboy, "Oh, is that your granddaughter?". Honeyboy says, "No, that's my girlfriend". Then Laura said (loudly) "Shame on you!". And we all laughed pretty hard for a while. That was at Honeyboy's house on 43rd Street between Princeton and Wells. I don't know whether he still lives there. I have been out of touch with the people in that neighborhood for 7 or 8 years, so I don't go around there any more. But I remember my father-in-law and them saying how Honeyboy never put on any airs about being a recording artist or world traveler or anything like that, he always was just 'regular' with his neighbors.

EDITED:
Oh, I got to rambling on about the past so much, I forgot the reason why I replied to your post; Stumblin, on a whim I clicked on your website and listened to most of the songs you made avalable there; Oh man, I love your playing, it sounds so good to me! well that is not so unusual, lots can play good guitar, but what is unusual is your singing, Man, your voice sounds GOOD with those songs you be singing there man. Now let me tell you one thing I am very fussy and of narrow taste when it comes to blues music; nevertheless I could sit and listen to you play and sing ALL day!
Les R Forgue
Regular

Postby uglyguitar » Fri May 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Les R Forgue wrote:and someone I never heard of but just now learned is quite famous, Doug McLeod on extremely low-profile, subdued backup guitar (mostly bass rhythm phrasing).

Doug is really great, I met him several times and sat in with him once when I was living in Long Beach, CA. He can be found there quite often doing solo gigs or with just him and a bass player. He used to be the host of the blues radio program at KLON for awhile, and always played great stuff. He's a really cool cat, and very approachable. One time at a local club in LB, I got there early and it was just he and I. I kept asking for Elmore James tunes and he was quite obliging, playing a string of stuff that was either EJ or in the vein of his style!
uglyguitar
Regular

Return to Talking Blues