..in the Shadows of Motown

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

..in the Shadows of Motown

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:41 pm

Did anybody see this documentary on the "Funk Brothers" yet? I liked it. It's about the studio musicians who were behind all the Motown hits in the 60's and 70's. Lotsa good R&B, soul, and funk, with horns,backup singers, percussion... the whole ten yards. I got a kick outa Bootsy Collins. The whole thing brought back alotta memories from when I was playin' summa that stuff in the 60's. It was well done too. Ben Harper and Joan Osborne were the "youngsters".
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ..in the Shadows of Motown

Postby goldbrick » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:11 pm

great stuff
goldbrick
Regular

Postby dcblues » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:12 pm

I saw it I don't know how many years ago, probably around when the dvd was first out. I never knew how well Joan Osborne could sing until I saw it. Here's a clip of her from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxenoFmGBFQ
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:26 pm

dcblues wrote:I saw it I don't know how many years ago, probably around when the dvd was first out. I never knew how well Joan Osborne could sing until I saw it. Here's a clip of her from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxenoFmGBFQ
Yeah, Joan Osborne can sing. I actually bought one of her more successful pop CDs. She's got power..real power. She also has some vocal mannerisms and some things she does with her tone that are exclusive to her. I think she got "killed" in the record company landslide about 10 years ago. Female rock and blues acts were among the first casualties in that crash. I know another girl here in Minnesota who got shelved when her label got bought out in the panic. She's just resurfacing now (Mary Cutrafello).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:22 pm

We played a festival a couple of years ago where she (Osborne) was also performing. We had another gig early that evening, so I missed her set. I was kinda hoping to share a dressing room with her too. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 am

dcblues wrote:We played a festival a couple of years ago where she (Osborne) was also performing. We had another gig early that evening, so I missed her set. I was kinda hoping to share a dressing room with her too. :)
She didn't look that good on this documentary, imo. But, I'd love to catch her singing.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues