Hendrix's Valleys of Neptune

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Hendrix's Valleys of Neptune

Postby thequakeblues » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Has anybody heard the "new" Hendrix album? I'm not the biggest Hendrix fan, but I thought it was pretty good.

There's a review of it at The American Blues News:
http://www.ameriblues.com/2010/03/jimi- ... ne-cd.html

...and the review posses an interesting question.....is this previously unreleased material, something that should be released? If it isn't "finished" and not the way Hendrix probably would've wanted people to hear it, is it right for his estate to continue to release it?

Thoughts?
thequakeblues
Regular

Re: Hendrix's Valleys of Neptune

Postby Amused » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:31 pm

I think it's very good. if you dig the greatest guitarist ever - go get it!
stands up to his material that was released while he was alive.
Amused
Regular

Postby §treetslim » Sat May 08, 2010 3:37 pm

i didnt like it..sounds like a bunch of out takes.
§treetslim
Regular

Postby farmaz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:30 pm

§treetslim wrote:i didnt like it..sounds like a bunch of out takes.

kinda agree, i heard the album last night & it aint the best stuff i heard by hendrix at all, my mate has so much stuff from him from studio lp's to bootlegs like woodstock, isle of white etc etc.

pewrsonally i think the best stuff he ever did was the first studio lp that was released, i find some of his later stuff when the jimi hendrix experience had broken up & he was going with gypsys, suns or whatever the new group was called aint that hot compared to how he could play, but thats IMO
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:14 pm

I love Hendrix, but he wasn't as perfect musically as some of us make him out to be. It's pretty rare when a CD has perfect cuts from end to end. I've got a big box set of his and 2/3 of it is just fluff, but I still love it. In many ways, his music is much like alotta other old stuff: it was much better if you were an adolescent at the time it came out. I can remember hearing Purple Haze for the first time at a picnic shelter up in the park when I was about 17; suckin' on whiskey that we stashed in the woods for a week, and buzzin' on some organic green mescaline. Ya' had to be there, and I don't recommend trying to duplicate the setting now. :)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:49 pm

You can't go home again.
ricochet
Regular

Postby songdog » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:11 pm

jeffl wrote:I've got a big box set of his and 2/3 of it is just fluff

There in lies the problem.... his estate is releasing everything they can get there hands on, just to make $$$, most of which Hendrix never intended to see the light of day. And what's worse, much of it is edited, doctored, overdubbed, butchered, etc. to make it salable/listenable. I'm not a Hendrix fanatic but I did love his music and am perfectly happy listening to the discs that he intended for us to hear.... and those would be the LPs released before his death.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues