New YouTube Video

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

New YouTube Video

Postby dcblues » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:14 am

Here's my band's latest video on YouTube. It's a short one from when we opened for the Holmes Brothers a couple of weeks ago. It's from a song we usually end most gigs with, and everyone gets an extended solo. What I play here isn't what I usually do in most of my playing, but the audience loves the fast, more rock sounding harp and I like to give them what they want.

My brother filmed the whole set and we're hoping to get some more videos up from that soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Aoa6NwrUJk
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New YouTube Video

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 pm

Right sonny, I'm thieving that groove for a start. Feel there is just great party music, it might not be your regular material, but it's still a damn fine sound.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Hey DC, it must be pretty good, 'cuz it sounds good on my work computer. I'm gonna have to give it a listen through my home system. It makes me wanna party! (It's funny how Jewish guys look right at home with those other minorities. 8) )
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:52 pm

jeffl wrote: (It's funny how Jewish guys look right at home with those other minorities. 8) )

The funny thing is my hair was starting to get too long and I was getting the "Jewfro" look (got it cut last week.) I told the guys in the band that I'm the only white guy in the band but I had the biggest afro. They liked that.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:07 pm

I really miss playin' that straight amplified blues DC. I haven't gigged with a straight blues band for 3 years now. There isn't much market for it around here anymore; it's worse than it was even a few years back. I miss havin' to learn tunes that I don't know, and the improvement in your technique that comes from pushin' yourself... especially at faster tempos. The only blues we play is stuff like "Crossroads" and "Before ya' 'cuse me", a few assorted blues/rock tunes, and then stuff that I instigate with my keyboards. I keep tellin' myself that I'll go back to giggin' blues when I quit teachin' Sunday School, 'cuz I get up at about 6AM on Sundays to finish studying my lesson. I'm 58 yrs. old and my class is dying off steadily, since the average age in there is about 83 ( no lie ), so mebbe in another few years I'll be able to get back to those late Saturday nites playin'. I'm glad you've been able to stay at it with that bunch. It's a valuable treat bro'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Hot diggity dawg - great stuff!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:26 pm

jeffl wrote:I really miss playin' that straight amplified blues DC. I haven't gigged with a straight blues band for 3 years now.

We're pretty far from a straight blues band. We do some funk, soul, classic rock, jazz, r&b, etc. We even have an original line dance song and play "Booty Call." (great line dance song, and some audiences really get into it.)

The clip I posted is from our usual finale song, our version of "Gonna Take You Higher" by Sly and the Family Stone.

I've been with this band about 4 1/2 years and it just gets better all the time. Looking forward to the spring and summer and playing some festival gigs.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm fine with all that stuff DC. Actually, I love funk, but alotta rock and blues guys seem to turn their noses up at it around here. I don't get that. I loved Sly... we used to do a capella vocal jams to his stuff all the time. There's alotta guys around here who don't even know who George Clinton is. I found a cassette tape in one of the trade-ins on our lot that musta been ordered off a TV commercial. I think it was called "Funk Party", and it had alotta the classics like "Brick House",etc. The front had a pic of a skinny black dude with a big "fro", wearin' a red sequined jump suit. My wife couldn't believe I loved that tape. I played trumpet in a soul band when I was in high school. Me & my buddy (a sax player ) were the only two white guys; the rest of the band members were all in their 20's. We wore royal blue jump suits with gold cowboy fringes on the sleeves and legs, and played behind band boxes with a big gold "MR" (Milwaukee Royals) on the front. We were bad muffas. That was the best payin' gig I ever had, but when they hit the resort circuit in the summer my mom made me quit ( probably wisely ). I loved playin' that soul music. I never played with my buddy again after that. We had a dance band in 8th & 9th grade together, and he turned me onto Coltrane back then. I owe that guy alot.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:08 am

That was rippin'! I had both feet goin' on that one! Raw and grinding, you had it goin' on!
We need a bigger taste now!
texas blues
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:25 am

That was great! A fabulous rhythm section keepin' the groove too.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:24 am

"We wore royal blue jump suits with gold cowboy fringes on the sleeves and legs, and played behind band boxes with a big gold "MR" (Milwaukee Royals) on the front."

SO cool.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:12 pm

allanlummox wrote:"We wore royal blue jump suits with gold cowboy fringes on the sleeves and legs, and played behind band boxes with a big gold "MR" (Milwaukee Royals) on the front."

SO cool.

Yeah, we need pictures of that!
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:11 pm

This thread is useless without pictures.

ricochet
Regular

Postby Neal » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:39 pm

I would imagine there's nothing better than to see a sea of people clapping, moving and smiling. And you guys accomplished all that!
Neal
Regular

Postby howlnwoof » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:42 am

I found a cassette tape in one of the trade-ins on our lot that musta been ordered off a TV commercial. I think it was called "Funk Party", and it had alotta the classics like "Brick House",etc. The front had a pic of a skinny black dude with a big "fro", wearin' a red sequined jump suit.

Hey man, we left that tape in our purple caravan when we traded it in two years ago!!!!!
Of course, it was almost worn out.....
howlnwoof
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues