John Mayall

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

John Mayall

Postby thequakeblues » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Hey,

I went to see John Mayall last week...and I have to say it was a pretty good show. I saw him like 15 years ago and was not all that blown away, but his new band is great.........even if they're not the prettiest group of guys I've ever seen.

Check out a review from his NYC performances:
http://www.ameriblues.com/2010/02/john-mayall-live-in-new-york-city-by-j.html
thequakeblues
Regular

Re: John Mayall

Postby wanderingyankee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:29 pm

I saw Mayall with the Bluesbreakers in 2006 at Sheperd's Bush Empire, UK. This was back when Buddy Whittington was his guitar player.
That night there was a mysterious Marshall 2 x10 on stage left for the first few numbers. John then introduced the special guest...Gary Moore.

Buddy is good but, Gary smoked him that night.
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:53 pm

I heard that he took last year off, for health reasons. I think the guy's about 73 years old and he works about 200 nights/yr., or he WAS.... He played the Fargo Blues Fest a few years back ; he somehow lost his harps en route (can you imagine that..?) . The locals bailed him out though. I haven't heard him for years. I wish I would, 'cuz his old stuff ain't doin' it much for me anymore, which is no indictment on him or his playing. And,btw Yank, re: the guitar players, as we all know, some nights are better than others. :)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby birddog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:21 pm

Always good to hear John still doin it.
A friend gave me a DVD a few weeks ago of one of his "Austin City Limits" ones from like 1992 when Coco Montoya was playin guitar. Enjoyed watchin that on a few times.

Anyone know if that harp holder/mic set up he used is a custom made deal ? Looks like it would be handy, at least for someone that doesn't strickly play harp. I know you couldn't get the full feel/emotion sound of a full blown harp player but for accents.. :wink:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Return to Talking Blues