Blues Questionnaire

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Blues Questionnaire

Postby jbg1315 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:04 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm doing a project on the blues for my college Folklore course. I'm basically administering this questionnaire to as many people as possible and comparing the results I get in order to make conclusions on how/why the ideas about blues have changed over time. I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any responses I can get to this. The questionnaire is below. By responding to it, you are consenting to your responses being used in the study (the professor is making me say that, seems a little too formal, doesn't it?)

Thanks!

John

Questionnaire:

1) What is your age? Where are you from?

2) At what age did you begin to play your instrument? How long have you been playing?

3) How did you learn to play your instrument?

4) Do you remember how you got your first exposure to the blues?

5) When did you first begin to consider yourself a blues player?

6) What are some of the characteristics you see in “good” blues playing? Who are some “good” blues musicians? Who is your favorite?

7) Do you play live concerts? If so, explain.

8) How important is playing live to you as a musician?

9) Do you have any good stories from playing gigs?

10) How do you feel about alcohol or drug use and its role in playing? Do you have any stories about alcohol or drug use you’ve heard about or seen?

11) What’s the version of the Robert Johnson and the Devil legend you’ve heard?

12) What about the story behind B.B. King’s guitar’s name?

13) Can you think of any legends similar to those the last two questions?

14) What are the unwritten rules of a jam session?

15) Do you know of any stereotypes about musicians based on their instrument?

16) Can you read sheet music?

17) Do you ever read tabs to learn songs? How do you feel about tabs?

18) How many instruments do you own?

20) Which piece of musical gear is your favorite? Describe it.

21) Why is it your favorite?

22) Do you have names for any of your musical equipment?

23) Do you have any particular brands of instruments that you like or dislike?

24) What is your ideal musical rig?

25) Do you know of any interesting instrument maintenance practices or remedies for problems with an instrument?

26) (For guitarists/bassists) How do you feel about solid-state amps? Tube amps? Effect processors? Stomp boxes?
jbg1315
Regular

Re: Blues Questionnaire

Postby LesFromChicago » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:39 am

That survey is way to long It would give me the blues to struggle through it
I could answer a couple I guess,

3) How did you learn to play your instrument?I learned to play (the blues on ) my instrument the same way I learned to talk.

5) When did you first begin to consider yourself a blues player?Anyone can consider themselves anything, that does not mean squat; the question should be When did OTHERS first begin to consider YOU a blues person.
When I was about 16 years old, people thought of me as one who plays and sings the blues, but those people were not subject matter experts; then when I was about 30 years old, Iberus Hacker introduced me as a 'bluesman' in the company of Homesick James and Pat Rushing; then about 6 years later veteran harp player/singer Fast Eddie Anderson said of me "he's a 'blues singer'" (he had not yet heard me sing, he said that based on hearing me play one or 2 little riffs in response to him starting off on an original compostion in a general arrangement groove of Catfish Blues. That occurred in donwtown St Paul at a little drop-in center for homeless, hobos, derelicts, etc. That was quite a humbling affirmation. My point is not to boast but to say that what counts is when a bluesman oops I mean bluesperson calls you a blues singer, not when I call my own self a blues singer.
Maybe you should get one answer to each of the 22 questions from 22 different persons.
If I sound rough I don't mean no harm, I am sure you are a good guy.
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:15 am

That would be a good outline for doing interviews with players, but it's going to be tough getting anyone to sit down and write answers to all those questions.
ricochet
Regular

Postby stumblin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:26 am

Ric & Les are right, that would be a great oral interview but is one long-ass questionnaire.
Some of the questions there require 2000 word answers, others might fit more neatly into the "yes or no" category. For internet survey purposes, fewer of the former and more of the latter would be preferable.
stumblin
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:41 am

I don't have time right now. I got this song idea I was workin' on about a saxaphone, a Buick and a woman in a real red.....
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bruneau » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:46 pm

I'm willing to fill in the questionnaire but i can't get any further than question one, simply because i'm no musician.
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues