J.B. Hutto, "High and Lonesome"

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

J.B. Hutto, "High and Lonesome"

Postby stumblin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:56 pm

I've got the "High and Lonesome" J.B. Hutto live album in MP3 format.
One of this format's biggest problems is the absence of any sort of context or information.
This is where you chaps come in...
Clearly, from the sound of the band and Mr. Hutto's voice, this was recorded fairly late in his career. The album really does kinda cook. The recording quality is not great, but the band is right on target and J.B.'s guitar is cutting to the damn bone.
Anyone know when and where this recording was made? Also, I totally recommend this cheap download for a groovy evening's entertainment.
stumblin
Regular

Re: J.B. Hutto, "High and Lonesome"

Postby Les Forgue » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:59 am

Wish I could help you out here Stumblin, but I know nothing of the album other than what you posted.
So why did I post a reply? I dunno, just feeling chatty I guess, since I am a J B Hutto fan too; My favorite of his work was titled "Who's been talking?" (If I recall correctly, which getting rare these days) The refain goes like " That's the truth, wouldn't tell you no lies, The next door neighbor's spray going to kill some flies." Is that on any of you J B Hutto albums? I once had it on a vinyl compilation LP.

I once enjoyed the privilege of seeing him perform live in Totonto, I think probably it was at a club called El Mocambo on Spadina. Lee Jackson was his back up guitar, and JB let Lee do a solo act duirng one set, probably Lee did Key To The Highway. That was probably about 25 years ago.
Les Forgue
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:32 am

I've definitely got a version of that, it revolves around J.B. explaining that he's borrowed the next door neighbour's spray gun to kill some flies. If memory serves, his wife wants to know what's that smell and he has to think fast. I can't remember the title or which album it's on but finding out isn't going to be any kind of chore, I'll listen through the collection over the next few days and let you know.
I'm still interested to learn more about the High and Lonesome album though, so any of you cats feel free to chip in.
stumblin
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Les Forgue wrote:That was probably about 25 years ago.

J.B. Hutto died in 1983, so it must have been slightly longer ago than that. Funny how some important events in our lives seem more recent in our memories than they actually were in so-called "reality!" I reckon it's our brain's way of keeping us young.
Well, it's a theory :roll:
stumblin
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:56 am

stumblin

J B Hutto is number 37 in The Blues Collection ( CD and magazine)series a 1995 British issue and the album featured is PET CREAM MAN
This was a live recording from 1st April 1982 in Carisle Mass.
This is important as the' further listening page' states

"HIGH & LONESOME'
(Fan Club 422417 )
was recorded 11 days after the CD in this issue, with the same powerfull accompanists. As is inevitable with live sets it duplicates a number of titles, but includes a tender version of "Come Back Baby", and a disturbing reading of "coo Coo Baby" about mental illness.
So to answer your question 12 April 1982

Possibly his second last album.
Interestingly he left the business for a while after having little success and finding the few bookings, were all poorly paid. The final straw was when a woman at a party grabbed his guitar and smashed it over her husband's head during an argument.
beard-of-grey
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:19 am

That's The Truth
on Vanguard VMD79216
CHICAGO / THE BLUES / TODAY
beard-of-grey
Regular

Return to Talking Blues