James Cotton on the cheap

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

James Cotton on the cheap

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:51 pm

James Cotton's playin' a concert here in a coupla weeks. Tickets are $11. Anybody heard him play lately? Has he got anything left? Is he using call bands (for that price..?) or what? I might have to go catch him, although sittin' in a concert hall for him jus' doesn't seem right. Mebbe I can get him to sign my harp case. Muddy Waters was usin' a call band the last time I heard him perform, before the great flood.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: James Cotton on the cheap

Postby dcblues » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:12 pm

It's been a few years since I've seen Cotton, but he's never let me down. He stopped singing years ago, but he always has a good singer in his band. Definitely worth the ticket price.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:42 pm

The concert was pretty much what I expected: great blues, but not great harp. He played thru a 58, right into the mains. Cotton's band is true to its reputation as a great blues band. His guitarists swap lead and rhythm roles, and they have two slightly different styles. One is extremely fluid (ala Juilliard jazz smooth), and the singer is much more percussive on the guitar, with sharper attacks. Both of 'em are great players, and the one who does the singing has been with him for 10 years, and is a real good entertainer. The house was perfect; an auditorium with a capacity of about 1500, and great acoustics. On a couple tunes the singer just left the mic and moved to the front of the stage and just belted the lyrics unamplified over the band. I sat in the balcony (which was half empty) and I could hear him easily without a mic. The crowd was at least half silver & grey haired folks, and they encouraged Cotton and his band all night with hoots, hollers, standing O's. They really paid tribute to the iconic harper. I had tears in my eyes a coupla times. Cotton was gracious and appreciative and responded to a curtain call with a romping version of their anthem, "..Mojo..". I could hardly understand a word out of Cotton's mouth... his voice is gone.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:19 pm

I also found out why the tickets were so cheap: the National Endowment for the Arts and a few other entities subsidized the ticket prices with sponsorships. I wonder if Cotton is workin' that shtick in other places too. I did run into a few faces from the So. Minnesota blues community that I hadn't seen for a while... in some cases, years. I thought I'd see more of them, but bein' in the balcony kinda restricted me. Of course, the people I ran into were mostly at the bar during intermission, lol.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:20 pm

I saw that Cotton is playing another gig at an arts & cultural house up in Minneapolis. They're gettin' $32/ ticket up there. It was $15 here. Different strokes for different folks.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues