What is this board's opinion on Jimmy Vaughan?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: What is this board's opinion on Jimmy Vaughan?

Postby rockonpapa » Thu May 06, 2010 8:39 pm

In my younger years I really liked the T-Birds.
What I see from Jimmy now seems to be more of a ’50 rock.
Everyone has their own style.
When I spend money it goes towards Buddy Whittington or
Smoking Joe Kubek and some others.
rockonpapa
Regular

Postby uglyguitar » Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 pm

First 4 T-Birds albums are like mother's milk to me! I must have wore out Girls go wild a few times now. That stuff was so good it makes me sick. I have to admit I hate what he is doing these days. I got a CD of him and Omar Kent Dykes doing Jimmy Reed stuff and I felt it was a crap! HIs timing was so off it was painful to listen to for longer than a minute. I know he was going for a Jimmy Reed vibe, but there was a reason Jimmy Reed played that way! I wish he'd go back and do a redux of "Extra Jimmies" or something.
uglyguitar
Regular

Postby gatorblue » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:15 am

Jimmie's the real deal all the way. One night at Antone's in Austin, I remember Muddy Waters had played that week and was hanging out in Austin which he liked a lot. He said, "I used to wonder if the blues, like I play it, would survive after all of us old-timers died. Now that I've got to know Jimmie and how he plays, I don't worry no more."

I lived in Austin from 68-89 and heard both Vaughan's many times. Truth is, both were great, but I really preferred to listen to Jimmie and still do.
While SRV was tremendous in the blended styles of Albert and Jimi, he would flat wear you out. Jimmie always had the groove and you could listen all night and really catch on to the full spectrum of the blues. Just my 2 cents.
gatorblue
Regular

Previous

Return to Talking Blues