What is this board's opinion on Jimmy Vaughan?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: What is this board's opinion on Jimmy Vaughan?

Postby birddog » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Agreed, your absolutely right about that Jbone1.

Rhambama, your right it is a mexican made guitar. I've played a couple and of all the MIM Strats its probably one of the best IMO.
You asked what people thought of JV and you get opinions. When they don't align with your thoughts you come back and take another jab. :roll:
But then again, some people don't think much of Dylan's tone and try to nail it. Unless your with the band you may never be able to know what someone runs there equipment through to get certain tones and one can drive themseves crazy doing so.
They may like a tune but do it their way. :wink:

Rhambama wrote:
birddog wrote:Besides he's got a signature Strat, somebody must think something of him.

The one that's made in Mexico? LOL
birddog
Regular

Postby bluescentric » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:52 pm

jbone1 wrote:there are more proficient technical players out there than jimmie, but one thing is certain: when you see him on stage, you know it's going to be with other good in the groove players and it's going to be a good and personable show. jimmie has an air about him, a kind of magnetic quality. like tab benoit, when he takes a stage he can make you feel like you've just eaten supper at his table and you're all sitting together in the living room having a good time.

jimmie has never wanted to be a lead guitar monster. rather, i think he dedicated himself to being the best rhythm player possible.

for me, what he does absolutely works.

Man, that is so true about Tab....
bluescentric
Regular

Postby songdog » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:29 am

Yep, JBone's got it right! I've seen J. Vaughan and Benoit several times and they've always put on a great show. They're just down home good people that love doing what they do.... and it shows in their music.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rhambama » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:58 am

Okay, lemme ask this from a blues musician's standpoint. What makes JLV worth studying from a technique, tone, or inovation standpoint?

I am not questioning him from a personality standpoint, I know he's a great person, the world needs more MEN like him.
Rhambama
Regular

Postby Bournio » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:32 pm

I dig his style, from the little I've heard, he does remind me a lot of BB King. I do get the impression Rhambama doesn't like him.

There are reasons to listen to musicians as a blues musician and not feel the need to study their tone or technique.
Bournio
Regular

Postby dcblues » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:18 pm

Rhambama wrote:Okay, lemme ask this from a blues musician's standpoint. What makes JLV worth studying from a technique, tone, or inovation standpoint?

As a harp player, I don't "study" Vaughan. I just like listening to him.

We get it, you don't like him. Nobody here is trying to convince you that you should and nobody is going to convice me that I shouldn't. We all have different tastes and opinions. I'm sure there are artists that lots of people on this board love whom I'm not into.

And I'll tell you again to listen to early T-Birds. Vaughan's rhythm and lead playing are text book classic blues guitar.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby DeFord Harp Slider » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:38 pm

Jimmy was in a band called the Chessmen and playing gigs at a skating rink in the Oak Cliff area in Dallas when I first saw him.... He dressed the same way back then as he has most of his career and has the ability to shred every well as good as his younger brother did before his tragic death.... There were a lot of blues guitarist that grew up in that part of town (most notably T Bone Walker) and Jimmy is just one more of them that happened to become famous by playing lead for a band that worked hard touring and recording for many years before attaining worldwide recognition and fame.... I first saw him 45 years ago.... Another Oak Cliff guitar man that grew up in the same neighborhood is Rocky Athas who is now with John Mayall
DeFord Harp Slider
Regular

Postby almcg2 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:43 am

Rhambama wrote:After, um... "Enjoying" a few vids of the man on Youtube, I am curious what you all think about him.

Thanks!

Well, interesting question. I really never cared for him much after hearing his stuff when I discovered SRV. I liked a couple of songs that The Fabulous Thunderbirds have done, but his guitar work...... I don't know. I've heard a few blues tunes by him that I thought were good, but nothing great. SRV was waaaay beyond his big brother, even though he first learned from him. So, I guess I'd say he's ok, but I don't own any of his work and probably won't be buying any in the future.
almcg2
Regular

Postby muddywolf » Sun May 02, 2010 12:29 pm

I think Jimmy Vaughan is a great rythm guitarist with a great sense of time.
I am not a big fan of his soloing or his tone.
I think he is an assett to blues music and culture though.
muddywolf
Regular

Postby Old Stella » Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am

I saw the Thunderbirds a few times and Jimmy kicked ass. Always going for the tone and feel. And when they cranked out a slow blues he'd whip off his leather jacket and get down!!! They were one of the groups that really couldn't be captured on a recording, although the recordings were good, they would WHOMP you live. If you can't get into Jimmy's blues and are thinking along the lines of rock, listen to Powerful Stuff and those songs. Good lord, he was dubbing horn and keyboard parts and tones from Fender heaven. I love to hear him do Lightning Hopkins leads and those Jimmy Reed boogies that drag behind the beat.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:19 am

all i want to add here is my own opinion that Jimmy is one of the very best blues rhythm players alive today. his work with Kim Wilson in the TBirds let Kim have most of the spotlight. other hand when it came time for the guitar to step in, Jimmy did some of the most tasteful and powerful accents and leads in the business in that era of the 80's blues scene.
jbone1
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue May 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Wonder what Jimmy Vaughan's opinion is of you ?

Yeah , that was silly but just dig the music , if you don't change the station
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 pm

I try not to be ultra-critical of most peoples' playin' when I'm catchin' 'em live. I've been playin' harp for about 45 years and quite often when I listen to live bar bands the harp playin' is not up to my standards, BUT I almost always can learn something from anybody, and I can always enjoy it unless the band's really brutal. Whenever a buddy sittin' with me says something like "Man, you play circles around that guy" I often reply with somethin' like, "Maybe, but he works the upper registers pretty damn good", or "I wonder how he's gettin' that lick". I try to learn something every time, while I'm kickin' back and enjoyin' it. The earlier comment about live sound vs. recorded music ( Old Stella) is dead on. And, I just like listening to Jimmy Vaughn.. I'd love to play with him. I can't pick him apart.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rossfloss » Tue May 04, 2010 10:41 pm

I'm going to have to agree with Rhambama. I understand how you guys can say he has a lot to live up to because his brother is SRV. I completely agree with that, however he still does seem overrated. One could argue he only has the following he has today because of his brother.

I'm basing my opinion on the ~10 videos I watched of him on youtube. Can someone at least agree his lead picking is rhythmically choppy. It lacks that smoothness that all the really soulful blues players blatantly posses. I don't understand his use of the capo on high frets for lead playing either but I am not going to rag on him for that. That's his option.

-Tony
rossfloss
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Wed May 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Listen to "Girls Go Wild"(1979) and "Whats The Word" (1980).

Try to duplicate the tone, licks, timing and feel of tunes like "Low Down Woman", "Extra Jimmies" or "That's Enough of That Stuff" with just a Strat and any old Fender tube amp with reverb. Trust me, you won't be able to.

Jimmie is the king of cool...the opposite of flash.

Not everyone "gets it". But then again, I dont "get" John 5.
wanderingyankee
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues