What is this board's opinion on Jimmy Vaughan?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

What is this board's opinion on Jimmy Vaughan?

Postby Rhambama » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:49 am

After, um... "Enjoying" a few vids of the man on Youtube, I am curious what you all think about him.

Thanks!
Rhambama
Regular

Re: What is this board's opinion on Jimmy Vaughan?

Postby dcblues » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:16 pm

I think he's great - reminds me a lot of Guitar Slim and Johnny "Guitar" Watson. Love his work with the T-Birds (especially the first two or three albums) and I would rather listen to Jimmy than his more famous brother.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm with dcb on this one.. all the way.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:07 pm

Doo Wop Blues - I like it!
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:31 am

I like him a lot. I think he has a really good voice and he definitely has a unique playing style. Watch his hands.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Rhambama » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:57 am

I don't really see him as a good guitar player.

None of his leads seem to be any good.

Someone point me in the right direction here. He has a very passionate following, but all I see is someone in the spotlight that really is just in a little over his head.
Rhambama
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:03 am

He really isn't all that technical and he is by no means a guitar god, but he can play decently.

I've always thought that a lot of people would think he was better if he wasn't SRV's brother. He's kind of in the shadow of his brother, who is regarded as the end all be all of blues guitar players by a lot of people. He has some pretty big shoes to fill IMO and I'd bet he would be a lot more popular and more highly regarded if he had a different last name.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Rhambama » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:00 am

I disagree. A lot of his followers seem to think. I compare him to all the blues players I've studied, and come up with the same resault.

Every video I've seen has a number of false/dead notes and even more glaring: poor phrasing!
Rhambama
Regular

Postby songdog » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:02 am

I don't generally "rate" guitar players by their ability, i.e. are they good or the best in the world, guitar god status, etc. I'm more likely to judge a musician by the whole package they present. Jimmy Vaughan is like BB King.... neither are guitar shredders but they ARE able to convey a message more simply with their playing. I think Jimmy's guitar playing fits his musical style to a T and that's why I enjoy listening to him.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:06 am

songdog wrote:I'm more likely to judge a musician by the whole package they present. Jimmy Vaughan is like BB King.... neither are guitar shredders but they ARE able to convey a message more simply with their playing. I think Jimmy's guitar playing fits his musical style to a T and that's why I enjoy listening to him.

This pretty much nails it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:34 pm

I like JLV's attitude. Check out some of his early T-Birds stuff like "Extra Jimmies". I can hear JLV's influence on his little brother.
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby bluescentric » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:28 pm

songdog wrote:I don't generally "rate" guitar players by their ability, i.e. are they good or the best in the world, guitar god status, etc. I'm more likely to judge a musician by the whole package they present. Jimmy Vaughan is like BB King.... neither are guitar shredders but they ARE able to convey a message more simply with their playing. I think Jimmy's guitar playing fits his musical style to a T and that's why I enjoy listening to him.

That's a great way to put it. Couldn't have said it better myself. Second!
bluescentric
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:25 pm

I like Jimmy, He probably dosen't get enough credit. He ain't Stevie but one can see Jimmies influence in Stevie's playing.
He coulda went off the deep end after losing his brother but he didn't. Anybody that looked up to Lightnin Hopkins influence over his playing like he did can't be all bad.
Besides he's got a signature Strat, somebody must think something of him.
Maybe its Kim Wilson's harp playing that made him sound good. :wink:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Rhambama » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:02 am

birddog wrote:Besides he's got a signature Strat, somebody must think something of him.

The one that's made in Mexico? LOL
Rhambama
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 am

there are more proficient technical players out there than jimmie, but one thing is certain: when you see him on stage, you know it's going to be with other good in the groove players and it's going to be a good and personable show. jimmie has an air about him, a kind of magnetic quality. like tab benoit, when he takes a stage he can make you feel like you've just eaten supper at his table and you're all sitting together in the living room having a good time.

jimmie has never wanted to be a lead guitar monster. rather, i think he dedicated himself to being the best rhythm player possible.

for me, what he does absolutely works.
jbone1
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues