I am retiring

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: I am retiring

Postby jeffl » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 pm

allanlummox wrote:It WOULD be a good time...
I'd love to hear what would happen if you two guys would collaborate...it'd have some depth, imo. I gotta believe that the comtemplation behind the music could spawn a whole 'nother layer to the whole thing.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:54 pm

maxx england wrote:Sutton Coldfield Blues Collective have had Mojo Buford in this year, so that's a venue not far from me. We should have got round to a proper bed in the spare room, you'll just have to fight it out over who uses it or the Collapsomatic Guest Bed.

It sure feels good to hear some people say they would enjoy the music. The problem with booking an overseas tour is getting dates lined up to make it worthwhile. The only way this can really happen is to have an established agent, or a crazy fool that wouldn't mind working so hard that their 10-20% cut would equal out to about 25 cents an hour :D Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14 pm

It's all dependent on what a person is looking for in his live music Walter. One of the reasons I enjoy my area so much from a music standpoint is that there are alotta small venues that book "itinerant" touring acts and real good local acts. These are venues somewhat like your old gig in California...wineries, coffeehouses, old roadhouse hotels, recycled opera houses,etc. There's great songwriters and musicians scattered all around the upper Mississippi River valley, and they fuel the ground-level music scene around here. If ya' go to the bars, most of the acts are cover rock acts, with guys who hardly ever rehearse, and they play pretty well due to experience & talent, but it's mostly the same stuff everywhere, and it's not very special. But the blues, old-timey, folk, western swing etc. is a whole different deal. It's musicians who are very dedicated to their crafts and just gotta play and write. I feel very fortunate to be tied into such a great grass roots music culture, and to be able to play every week. Unlike you Walter, I thrive in band settings, 'cuz I'm not a tune leader... so I'm fortunate to live in a wonderful area with plenty of opportunities (as long as you don't need to be paid alot).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Assuming there's no copyright/border inaccessibility problems, this is our community band at our local festival. Moss, the bass player, was 100 miles away with a broken down van so Somebody in a red shirt with a yellow lefty Strat had to play the low notes. And Lummo, yes, that's the Cube you can hear, nice voice, ain't it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch9E-TSM ... r_embedded

So if you need a rhythm player that doesn't panic and doesn't try to get clever, you know where to find me.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Talking Blues