I am retiring

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

I am retiring

Postby watertore » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi All: After several decades of trying to convince the music world that my approach to music is legitimate, I have decided to retire from all gigs that are not conducive to what I do(regardless of the $ and or fame content). This process has been in the works for at least 15 years and playing the local IBC competition last weekend sealed it. It was a gift not winning. I realized that for my music to work, I have to be relaxed and excited. Otherwise it is just a waste of time and as I grow older, time is much too precious to waste. The more I play, the more I realize what is needed for it to work right. Most gigs are not set up for what I do. So, instead of trying to retool the music industry to what I do, I am going to spend my time playing in environments that support this.

I get very excited and relaxed in my studio and have realized that is all I ever wanted with my music and this 35 year journey of trying to get the world to aknowledge what I do was necessary to get to this point. I still enjoy playing out, but only will do it on my terms. Money and lure of ego strokes in place of this no longer hold my interest. I also was going on the premise that an audience was essential to what I do. I realize it isn't. It is the cherry on the sundae so to speak. When I close my eyes in my studio, with the headphones on, I hear everything perfectly mixed. I also see the story unfold like a movie that I am in. I see, smell, touch, feel, all the story of the song. This also happens when I play live in the right settings, but never happens in the wrong settings. In the wrong settings, I go through the motions and wonder why I am doing this.? That is what happened at the IBC gig and more gigs than I can remember.

This is a very happy turn in the road. I realize life is too short to spend it doing meaningless things. My ego drove me to try and "be a star". It was a great experience that I wouldn't trade for the world. I have gotten to meet, play, and live with, many of my musical heros, and have met countless wonderful people around the world. Hopefully I will continue to find places to play that allow me creative freedom. I got to play the bean blossom festival last month and it was great. John Hall, the promoter, hired me with the stipulation that I do me. That was a great gig and having the IBC back up to this one, physically showed me what it takes for me to enjoy playing.

Being on this forum has been a positive part of this process and I am thankful to everyone for it. It has also shown me how different I do music and it is time to stop trying to convince the world of what I do and spend more time in things that flow easily. Growing up is a great thing! Learning about oneself is a life long journey and I feel blessed to have been able to be on this road. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I am retiring

Postby allanlummox » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Walter, thanks. You've been a huge help and an example. Your vision and your heart have been informing my own perspective on the music "Business".

Keep singing!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi Dan: thanks. I guess we just need to keep tuned into our hearts. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Way to go, Walter! I really enjoy what you do.
ricochet
Regular

Postby stumblin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:11 pm

Walter, you have my total respect.
I've enjoyed a great many of your songs, and I hope you'll keep on producing your own uniquely entertaining brand of spontaneous blues. You're absolutely right, there's no point banging your head on a wall. I'm sure you'll find the sort of playing environment you're looking for though.
Cheers 8)
stumblin
Regular

Postby savage » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:43 pm

I still got some of your CD's you sent me a few years back. Was looking for a song on there called cocaine mary just a few days ago. I understand what you mean about having to "make" your music work in certain environments. I can only imagine how much more work it is for the one man band. Hats off to you. Thanks for sharin yer music with me.
savage
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Best wishes for the future Walter. Don't blame yourself for being too idealistic about the ability and willingness of the industry to broaden its parameters. Hell, I've sat in bars and listened to plenty of blues bands all night and never heard a tune where they actually found a groove. Please jus' keep on doin' yer stuff for those who'll listen.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Walter you should just do what you do. There is healing in your music for those that hear it and for yourself. That's where your reward is.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:09 pm

thanks guys! Coming to terms with the sadness of "not making it" is a good thing. Life ain't black and white, but gray. I am learning it is normal to be sad and happy at the same time! through this little oddessy, I have come up with this new idea. I have posted this on craigs list and am searching filmaker forums to post on as well:

Hello: My name is Walter Tore and I have created a one of a kind approach to music. I call it Spontobeat. What this means is I create my words and music spontaneously. I have no idea what is coming out and have been doing this for almost 50 years. I have had a fairly interesting musical backround (so I am told :-) ) and currently play as a real one man band. I play the drums with feet, guitar, harmonica on a rack, sing and keyboard, all at once.

What I am interested in trying is an experment with filmakers. I hoping to meet some folks that would like to make a video(s) (spontaneous would be ideal) to my music. I put no parimeters on it. I am a firm beliver that artists should create without any outside pressures and am open to publishing anything that turns me on. I have over 1,600 songs at the site below. There is also a video of me perfoming in my studio(has close to 12,000 views), and a bio. My songs are snapshots of the moment in time of my life, the universe, past, present, future, and dreams of dreamers. I am the only person in the world doing what I do, and maybe with the right collaborations, things can go somewhere. I am looking for new adventures and this sounds like it could be a fun one. No need to be a pro filmaker. I am into the soul note. That is real art IMO, so don't be shy. If you are interested, contact me and I can send you any song you would like to put a video to. Dream Big because life is too short to not to! Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:21 am

I hope you find a film maker that does your style justice, I hope whatever gets recorded doesn't have a million cuts, because it won't suit you at all!
Bournio
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:31 pm

I'd talk to Lummo if I were you, I'd come to see Lange & Tore tour in the UK. You might not get rich or booked bigtime like Seasick Steve (and his success was pure chance, from what I've heard), but you'd open many peoples' eyes to a new way of doing things. And talk to Red, he was touring with Michael Messer, so there's an intro to the British circuit right there.

Retire? No, take a rest, change direction. Retire is when you stop playing, and I don't think any of us here can envisage you doing that. Does not compute. Error. Redo from start.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:36 pm

thanks bournio and maxx england! I would like to get back overseas to play and I like Dan. Who knows what the future holds?? Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:06 am

maxx england wrote:I'd come to see Lange & Tore tour in the UK.

Not the only one there Maxx!
Bournio
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:13 pm

It WOULD be a good time...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:56 pm

Sutton Coldfield Blues Collective have had Mojo Buford in this year, so that's a venue not far from me. We should have got round to a proper bed in the spare room, you'll just have to fight it out over who uses it or the Collapsomatic Guest Bed.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Talking Blues