How come I never get tired of Lightnin'

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

How come I never get tired of Lightnin'

Postby birddog » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Man I can listen to Sam every day of the week.
If I could only listen to one artist for the rest of my life it just might be him. 8)

Wally
birddog
Regular

Re: How come I never get tired of Lightnin'

Postby jeffl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I agree. His unbridled exuberance is infectious and makes me grin continually when I'm listenin' to his stuff. It's a wonderful trait for an entertainer to have.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:20 am

I know what you mean. Every time I think I have enough Lightnin' I find another disc that I just gotta have - and every one is a revelation.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:10 pm

It's understandable. He is after all, Texan!

Salute', TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby watertore » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:50 pm

Lightning is my all time favorite. On top of that I got to play with him towards the end of his career. He taught me how to work a riff. Its not what you know, but how you do it! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Les Forgue » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:38 pm

When I was 16 years old (1962)and my peers were listening to Motown and stuff, I spent much of my time listening to one Lightning Hopkins LP.
Les Forgue
Regular

Postby songdog » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:35 am

Back in the late seventies I was stuck in OKC for a few years. There were these hippies that fixed up this bar while they lived out back in a yellow school bus. They made the place look like an old barn with rough wood paneling, bench seating and a hayloft. Max occupancy was maybe 200. I think they called it the Prairie Lady, or something like that. But once it was ready they began bringing in some really great talent. They must have had connections with promoters on the Austin City Limits circuit cause quite often the musicians would acknowledge they had just driven up from a gig in Texas.

In the span of a year they brought in the likes of Papa John Creach, John Mayall, Sonny and Terry, Roger Mcguinn, Muddy, James Cotton, Hot Tuna, Pure Prairie League and so many others that I can no longer remember them all. At that time I was about 21 years old and had one foot in the blues and the other in Rock'n Roll. I saw Lightnin' play there one weekend (he played both Friday and Saturday night) and his music and guitar playin just knocked me out. Like Walter said, Lightnin' could say more with just a few simple notes than most others could do with the entire fretboard. The direction of my guitar playin changed drastically after that weekend and I've been a LIghtnin' fan ever since then.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby birddog » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Great story Songdog, sounds like a place I would have hung out at myself. Wish I could have seen the man.

Walter Tore, you were a very fortunate to have had that expierence.

Does anybody know if there are any DVD's that go into his playing style ?

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby watertore » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:55 pm

HI WallY: I was fortunate to be a teenager when guys like Lightning were still alive and well. I got to play with lots of the greats. I gave up everything and just walked the highways to find those guys. It was a great experience. To be honest, todays crop of players don't excite me anywhere near how the old guys did. There is a great video out on lightning called- the blues according to lightning hopkins. It is him in his element. I got to experience it both in the ritzy clubs of NYC, and the down home texas way of partying that the movie captures. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluescentric » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:57 pm

I found Lightnin' by accident a couple of years ago in one of those used CD/DVD stores. He was tucked in the back under some old crap and when I put the CD in I was shocked to find that he was really flippin' good!

thus began my love of Lightnin'
bluescentric
Regular

Return to Talking Blues