Inspiration Deficit

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Inspiration Deficit

Postby stumblin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey chaps, still consuming air here...
I've been missing you all!
It's been a crazy year so far for me. Gigs have been a bit thin on the ground and other stuff has been going on which has kind of kept me occupied.
One major thing that's been keeping my frustration levels in the danger zone has been my apparent inability to come up with any new stuff. It feels like an age since I managed to cobble any new songs together.
Do any of you lads and lasses go through creative droughts? How does it make you feel, and does it affect your life outside your musical sphere?
Anyhoo, I'll try to keep in touch with the Road more regularly from now on.
stumblin
Regular

Re: Inspiration Deficit

Postby watertore » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:42 pm

hey stumblin: When I get feeling nothing, creativity wise, I do other things I enjoy. I have a ton of them- flying/building radio controlled gliders, bike rides, walks with my wife and dogs, watching a good old movie, making bread/pizza...... Soon enough, I get itching to play again. Forcing the issue just makes it worse. I even laid off for almost 5 years one time before the inspiration came back- you can't rush it IMO. The good news is when I come out of a dry spell, I have a new take and usually have forgotten a bunch of stuff that was meaningless in the first place. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Andy, it ain't like you got a record deal and gotta have 14 new songs in the can by January. One of my music mentors once told me that art requires patience. His analogy was that we should think like a big ol' catfish: jus' lay in the current and let the food come to you. You can always force yourself to write a tune that'll sound ok, or learn a tune you've always wanted to learn...but you can't force inspiration. Sometimes things in your life will require that you spend mental,emotional, or physical energy on them; those things detract from your music up until the point where they spill over the edge of the cup, and THEN you get inspiration. Have you tried meditation, or just changing some of your personal habits or routines??? When one of my old pastors would run a little dry, he'd take a 2 or 3 day sabbatical, or start taking long walks out in the country, or anywhere. Have you been listening to any new music, or playing with guys you haven't played with before? Have you searched for new clubs to play, for a change of scenery? Have you tried working on any guitar techniques that you've never attempted before, jus' to get 'em knocked out once and for all? Have you gone back and listened to any of the stuff that inspired you when you were jus' getting started? Have you gone out and gotten piss-pants drunk (if that kinda thing works for you)? Have you gone to any workshops? Are you having enough sex, lol? Are you jammin' much?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 pm

When I'm absolutely strapped for ideas - I let randomness in.

As a young man, I earned a little side money reading Tarot cards and still have a couple of decks. For a musician, even better is Brian Eno's Oblique Strategy cards - there's an online generator here.
http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/oblique/oblique.html

Or just stare at the clouds!

I say this and I'm dying of writers block here - but that's with my prose projects, it's probably just laziness, I'll get over it....
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:27 pm

A change of scenery and a new guitar usually do it for me when I get stuck. Lately I've been coveting a LP Jr. down at the local joint. I reckon it's good for pumping out at least 6 new tunes.

Salute', TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby stumblin » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks guys,
I guess most of it really is pretty obvious, eh?
Not forcing it is probably best, I know you're all absolutely right on the money there.
Actually, I just got a charity shop Spanish guitar, cleaned it up and strung it. It's a beauty. I've been plugging away at a few old Freddie Phillips tunes, which older Brits will all remember with fondness. What a sweet sound! Also attempting to get my fingers and head around a bit of Bossa Nova - with limited success so far!
Anyhoo, it's great that you're all here. I feel better already.

Bubba, I'll try suggesting that to Mrs. Stumblin', then I can take my freshly slapped face out to get piss-pants drunk. It's a plan!
stumblin
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:18 pm

You could get lucky, of course, and that solves it because who the bloody hell wants to go around writing songs when you have a friendly woman to , er, cope with :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:05 pm

maxx england wrote:You could get lucky, of course, and that solves it because who the bloody hell wants to go around writing songs when you have a friendly woman to , er, cope with :mrgreen:

Haha I know that feeling... this getting attached to young ladies is awful for my songwriting!
Bournio
Regular

Return to Talking Blues