bean blossom blues, bbq and brews festival

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

bean blossom blues, bbq and brews festival

Postby watertore » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi All: I had a great time at this festival. It is held at the Bill Monroe Park. Bill bought it in the 50's and had bluegrass jamborees there. The bluegrass hall of fame is there also. I spent a good hour going through it. Getting on that stage, I felt a lot of those old bluegrass guys floating around. John Hall, the owner of Bushmans Harmonicas, and promoter of the fest, was an unbelivably kind and generous host. They had a big BBQ competition on Saturday and I got to eat a couple plates of the entries. I have played a lot of festivals here and abroad, and this one is definetly high on the list. Here are some videos from it. Walter

http://www.youtube.com/user/waltertore
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: bean blossom blues, bbq and brews festival

Postby jeffl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:06 pm

Lookin' and soundin' good Walter! You're right about not fittin' the mold, bro', but alotta independent suckers like you are aggressive, curmudgeonly, and are known as jerks by fellow musicians and club owners. I'm glad that you've kept your positive and upbeat disposition despite the rejection due to the path you've chosen. Keep on keepin' on.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Thanks Bubba! I have had lots of moments of anger and whatnot, but the joy of playing soon melts them away. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:39 pm

watertore wrote:Thanks Bubba! I have had lots of moments of anger and whatnot, but the joy of playing soon melts them away. Walter
Well, if anybody hears ya', they can tell right away that you can play, so whether it seems like it or not, I'm sure you've got the respect of many of your peers anyway. I remember watchin' regional touring acts back in the 70's in clubs....I was astounded that alotta these guys were able to play any damn lick imaginable on their guitars; but they were jus' regurgitating cover tunes as background music for a buncha guys and girls gettin' laid, and playin' 5 nites/wk. really got 'em in shape. If that's what somebody wants to do, then, fine, it's their right, but I think the kinda gigs you play are a whole different kind of pleasure for ya'. Personally, I like the bonding that goes on in a band, but some of you guys (like Grady,Dan Lange,etc.) are born to travel your own individual routes.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:13 am

thanks again! I actually miss playing with katherine stevens (drums) and douglas mckenzie (bass). They are able to flow with my unorthdox time and chord changes. Finding musicians that can do this is difficult. Straight time keepers mean instant death to what I do. What I don't miss about having a real band is the cooridinating it takes to get everyone onstage. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:15 pm

Ya' just gotta find some people who will play with ya' over time; my first full-time playin' gig outa college was workin' for a guy who would throw stuff at ya' totally without warning all the time... including playing tunes in keys other than the key we usually played the tune in, and never following the setlist. For me, it was one big game of "crack the whip". He was totally responsive to the crowd and people would stack requests (napkins) on my piano like they were i.o.u.'s. Playin' for him was some of the best training I ever had, and the tips were always great.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:47 pm

that is how I learned with the old blues guys as well. When I lived in Austin, I had guys a mile deep that could follow me. I feel blessed to have had the faith to get into the 1 man band. It is a totally stress free gig-except carrying all the gear- PA, guitars, amp, harps, drum set, mic stands, keys, keyboard stand, carpet :roll: .
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Did you ever play with a keyboarder/guitarist named Ron Thompson? He played with JLHooker for years, and he picked up the habit of startin' out on one tune and then changin' a riff a little and divin' right into another tune (a la John Lee) . He's still out there playin' and obviously his sidemen are contortionists. IMO, the smaller the band, the better, if you got a leader like that.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:15 pm

I use to run in the same circles as Ron when I was living (my first stint of 2) in the bay area circa 79-82. We played places like Eli's Mile High Club and the Deluxe Inn, both in Oakland. I was backing up guys like sonny rhodes, cool papa, johnny b good, mississippi johny waters, lowell fulsom.... I have lost touch with him over the years but know he still is playing quite a bit. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:32 pm

I think Ron might be livin' in Minneapolis, Mn.... up here by me, 'cuz I keep seein' his name poppin' up on midweek gigs with some of the other locals. His band goes by Ron and the Resistors, but I doubt if it's the same lineup all the time. He's pretty burned out, but you can't tell it by his playin'. I've caught him a coupla times, and he plays with some of my music acquaintances. He plays some beat up equipment... duct tape everywhere; he's no slouch though. He's high energy.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:39 pm

I am pretty sure he still lives in the bay area. He has had some health issues lately. I always liked him. He has always been a bit "twitchy". He use to be real thin too. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues