Bushman/Nady Torpedo on sale!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Bushman/Nady Torpedo on sale!

Postby jbone1 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:07 pm

the "Bushman Torpedo", by Nady, is a sort of hybrid harp mic. dynamic element housed in a uni9que ventad shell similar to say a jt30 shell. low-zi nput. we've seen a few different mics lately, built low impedance for use straight into a p.a. or ss amp. this one is being discontinued by Bushman, and it's on sale for $45. helluva deal! i went ahead and bought one even though i'm totally ion love with my crystal mic and tube amps. for that price i couldn't let it slide since it was near twice that price until just recently.

i've had it plugged into a danelectro dirty thirty here at home and liked its output. last eve i hit a jam and sat in using it, and it sure cut through well. didn't get a chance to sing with it but i suspect it will do double duty pretty well also. to me this will serve as a good mic to bring to jams, and in the event we don't want to bring my tube amp out to a duo gig it will go right into the small fender p.a. we use a lot.

the venting on this mic make some hand effects possible, i have not worked with it enough yet to get familiar with that aspect, but i've heard good things about them.

i'm not affiliated with bushman in any way, i just wanted to pass on a good deal.
jbone1
Regular

Re: Bushman/Nady Torpedo on sale!

Postby Jaybird803 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:26 am

who is selling this mic for $45/ Sounds like a great price.
Jaybird803
Regular

Postby gheumann » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:36 am

I've modded several of these for customers. The mic "as is" is god-awful as a harp mic. A cheap vocal mic, suspended in the middle of the shell with air all around it. Cupping doesn't do much. But for $49, if you like the shell, it is a great shell for a good Shure CM or CR element.

Greg
http://www.BlowsMeAway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net
gheumann
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:55 am

Hey Greg! It's great to see you on here. I don't need any new mics right now, but I would recommend your mics or services to any harp player.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:16 am

john at bushman harmonicas is clearing these out of his stock. no idea if there are any left.
jbone1
Regular

Postby gheumann » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi, DC

Yeah, I have lurked here for a while but just registered - so that was my first post, I think.

Thanks for the props - and cheers.

For those of you who don't know me - I'm a harp player and I make stuff for harmonica players. Custom mics, volume controls, mods, etc. Lots of info on my site.... http://www.blowsmeaway.com My customers include Charlie Musselwhite, Mark Hummel, RJ Mischo, Andy Just, Brendan Power, Jimi Lee, Richard Hunter, many more....

dcblues wrote:Hey Greg! It's great to see you on here. I don't need any new mics right now, but I would recommend your mics or services to any harp player.
gheumann
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:40 pm

hey greg, i see you here and there and have been to your site. nice work man!
re the torpedo- i'm wondering what effect those side vents would have with a cm or crysatal element instead of the dynamic that it comes with. almost as soon as i got it in the mail i began thinking about filling in at least some of them with JB weld or something similar. how you get a real sealed cup with them is beyond me.

i do have to say, plugged into a p.a. with a good sound guy, this mic as is can sound fairly ok imho, but since i have a ceramic and a crystal both laying around i also immediately began considering swapping to one of them instead.

one other thing i'm not sure about is if the cable leads need to be swapped around at the 1/4" jack end of the cable. ultimately if i do what i want to, i'll have a vc in that hole and run a 1/4" female someplace else on the shell.
jbone1
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:57 pm

gheumann wrote:Hi, DC

Yeah, I have lurked here for a while but just registered - so that was my first post, I think.

Thanks for the props - and cheers.

For those of you who don't know me - I'm a harp player and I make stuff for harmonica players. Custom mics, volume controls, mods, etc. Lots of info on my site.... http://www.blowsmeaway.com My customers include Charlie Musselwhite, Mark Hummel, RJ Mischo, Andy Just, Brendan Power, Jimi Lee, Richard Hunter, many more....

dcblues wrote:Hey Greg! It's great to see you on here. I don't need any new mics right now, but I would recommend your mics or services to any harp player.
Greg, welcome to the site here. I'm a harper from So. Minnesota. I've stumbled onto your website before; I like the concept of your mics. I've been playin' thru a stock 520DX and a BluesBlaster, so you see that I'm not ultra discriminating. I've played for over 40 yrs., but just got into "bullet" mics about 10 years ago. I'm a hobbyist, currently jammin' with the same group for the last 3-4 years. They play a wide variety of music, so I'm not after the super crunchiest sound I can get, but I like it a little "brown". I'll get aholda ya' down the road when I get the itch for a different mic; your testimonials are good enough for me.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gheumann » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:32 pm

jbone-

Don't fill those slots! If you have a reasonable sized gasket around a CM/CR, you can actually push it back into the element until the front of the slots expose the front of the element, and the back of the slots expose the rear. Now, when you cup the mic, you're basically either blocking or forcing airflow from front to back (not sure), but when you uncup you're not affecting it. I don't know if I'm saying that right, but my experience was that you get an enhanced response to cupping. You won't get that with the stock element because there is so much airspace all around the element.

Of course you can also jettison the XLR connector, put in a volume control, polish the shell, etc - a lot of work but the end result is a really nice mic. Just throw the stock element away, or use it as a paperweight, or see if it is really true what they say about metal objects in the microwave.....

And thanks guys for the warm welcome!

/Greg
gheumann
Regular

Return to Blues Harp