Best out-of-box harp for high notes

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Best out-of-box harp for high notes

Postby Swayne » Sat May 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Hey, all - I'm playing up past hole 6 a lot more since I started trying to play Jazz - many of my harps squeak and choke up high (8-10) What harps do you guys think play well way up there? The harps in mybox right now are Bushman delta F's, Seydel Blues sessions, a Seydel blues favourite (my fav - though I only have an 'E'...) a 'C' Golden Melody (which I like a lot too) and a couple of Suzuki's. I'm using C a lot with the Jazz trio, so that's the main one I want to get for the high notes. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks, all.
Swayne
Swayne
Regular

Re: Best out-of-box harp for high notes

Postby jeffl » Sat May 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Even though I've played harp since about 1966, I'm no expert on technical matters, but I own one Hering Vintage 1923 that plays really pure upper register tones, as long as you don't try to force too much air through it. I normally play Special 20s. Have you ever tweaked your own harps,i.e., regapped 'em or bevelled 'em? If you haven't, you might want to learn what you can about tuning up your own harps. There are harp tool kits sold and there's alot of info out there on the net which can assist you in this. Stock harps just won't play as well in the upper registers as properly gapped and tuned ones.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Sun May 25, 2008 6:04 am

DELTA FROST & HONER SPECIAL 20 MARINE BAND.

Key of C and Key of A.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Swayne » Mon May 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I'm thinking I'd better get into gapping & stuff - what website do you reccomend for learning this stuff? -Swayne
Swayne
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon May 26, 2008 2:31 pm

There are a number of sites, but you could start by contacting Adam Gussow at http://www.myspace.com/adamgussow . He's a very good guy and will set you up.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Mon May 26, 2008 2:45 pm

Swayne wrote:Thanks for the replies, fellas. I'm thinking I'd better get into gapping & stuff - what website do you reccomend for learning this stuff? -Swayne
Easy, Harmonicaclub.com

Has lots of tabs, lessons, people, live jams, even a teaching night.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby blomax » Thu May 29, 2008 5:33 pm

I love high register harping. Especially using a D and A harp to switch off in the same song. Special 20 A & C as mentioned above. And some yrs back I payed some high E and Bb both on Spec. 20s right out the box and broken in for a couple hours. As said above air control is pretty important as well as the way you hold your mouth. Kinda like fishin. I play lip pursing and very little tongue blocking. And I used to get off especially hearing/watching Mark Wenner use 2 harps on Rockin Blues songs playing high register on A and low down on D.
Lomax
blomax
Regular

Return to Blues Harp