XB-40?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

XB-40?

Postby Swayne » Tue May 20, 2008 1:51 am

Hi, all. New here - I just got a Hohner XB-40, mainly because I was curious. I play standard diatonic harps normally - Bushman, Seydel,etc.

This thing seems aweful! Bad weak tone, kinda flat in places... does this thing just get some taking used to? Anybody have one of these monstrosities?

I actually kinda like the size of it, strangely enough.

-Swayne
Swayne
Regular

Re: XB-40?

Postby mike932 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:18 am

I was at a Jam where a guy was playing one, through some kind of a modeling amp. It was incredible, made some cool tones and wild bends. I haven't tried one because of the price.
mike932
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Tue May 20, 2008 4:53 pm

This harp was designed by former Hohner product manager Rick Epping so that every note could be easily bent thru the use of an auxilliary set of reeds. It doesn't quite sound like a normal diatonic or a chromatic and is tuned to a comprimised just intonation as opposed to equal tuning (used by GM's. LO's,DF's, and all Suzuki's) and so the notes that are tempered down flat allows for better sounding chords, something Equal tuning doesn't have. I don't recommend these harps for beginners because to take full advantage of their capabilities, you will need to know each and every note, both bent as well as unbent, that's available on them, and you will REALLY need to learn to control your breath force ASAP, and the vast majority of diatonic harp players ( and this is ESPECIALLY true among beginners) tend to play FAR TOO HARD IN TERMS OF BREATH FORCE ALL THE TIME. You need VERY LITTLE breath force and it's not something that you develop in 10 minutes, and it's something most harp players REALLY NEED TO WORK ON to get the most out of these and too often will not do it. If you're expecting it to sound like your standard diatonic or chromatic, forget it, and get used to it because it's a totally different animal and not for beginners.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Swayne » Tue May 20, 2008 10:55 pm

Yeah, BBQBob, I think I agree - I work on breath control myself, and have found that playing with more control and less force is a pretty good thing. I dont care for the sound of the thing - it sounds weak to me, even playing with a nice and easy style. I'm sure with practice I can make it sound better - after all, you know what they say about practice. I think I'll stick to the standard 20 reeds, though...

-Swayne
Swayne
Regular

Return to Blues Harp