Dixieland?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Dixieland?

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:25 pm

A rather momentous occasion in my life is taking place tomorrow and the entertainment includes a dixieland jazz band. They've asked me to sit in on a few numbers and my original plan was to play a bit of slide but I really don't think that I'm going to be able to carry guitar and gear all that way so I'm switching to the nice portable harmonica.

BUT

Dizieland jazz? How on earth am I going to play THAT on harmonica? Any ideas?
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dixieland?

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:20 am

Think in terms of the major blues scale or "traditional blues scale," which is the major pentatonic plus the minor third. Or the same notes as the minor blues scale of the relative minor of the key you're playing in. As in, if you would be playing in C, you'd be using the notes of the A blues scale with the tonal center on C. On a guitar, move the patterns three frets towards the nut. On harp, presumably all you have to do is pick out a harp three semitones lower than you would use, and make your root note where the flat third was before.
ricochet
Regular

Postby blomax » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:54 pm

Hey Ya'll,,one of the most memorable evenings of my time was in St Petersburg Russia in fist of March in 2002. It was Womans Day and I was invited to a Cafe-Bar for a Dixieland Jazz performance by a great Russian group. It was so much fun, even these folks children were there just dancing the night away. I of course had my harp case and was invited to sit in. I dont remember any of the keys we used but it worked out so well, I was ask to sing too :roll: . When they figured out I knew the words to a few songs and of course have a southern accent they made me feel very special. Even though things were cheap price in the place I was not allowed to pay for anything. Those guys could really play well, a couple were from the symphony there in St Peter. Thanks for the reminder,,it has not been thought of lately,,brought quite the smile :D to my face .
blomax
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:12 pm

It occurs to me that not being a harper, I've doubtless just given a longwinded circumlocution of playing in a different position than second. I just don't know which! :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby mike932 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:46 am

Hey Jellyroll , how did it go? I love Dixieland jazz. I used to play the sousaphone in school and loved the dixieland sound. I played the sousaphone in a german band, that was also a kick in the pants. Yes I was a nerd, lost a lot of lunch money in Jr. High School.
mike932
Regular

Return to Blues Harp