Weltmeister harps

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Weltmeister harps

Postby mike932 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:52 am

Anybody know where to buy these in the U.S.? I own one, the shop I bought it from closed.
mike932
Regular

Re: Weltmeister harps

Postby barbequebob » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:16 pm

barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:26 am

Thanks Bob, I tried that link , but it does not work. I own one Weltmeister (blackbird) in low D. I really like it and wouldn't mind having a seven set.
mike932
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:23 pm

I believe these harps are actually being made by Seydel.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:46 am

Have you played a Seydel ?
mike932
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:19 pm

I haven't played anything they've made recently, other than the Bushman's Soul Voice, which is made by them, and a decent harp (I mainly play custom MB's), and they were recently bought out and have upgraded everything and so far, I haven't heard bad reports to any real degree yet. They've been around much longer than Hohner. The only other product line they've had in the US were Bandmaster (during the late 70's, which wasn't very good), and Weltmeister, and I believe the Blackbird was basically the same as a SV, if I'm not mistaken. C2C carries Seydel now.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:18 pm

I have tried (owned) allot of different harps, I prefer the MB, just seems to work for me. I do like the one weltmeister I own. I will give the Bushman a try. Thanks for your input.
mike932
Regular

Postby too2tall » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:15 am

http://www.harpdepot.com/

They carry Soul Voice and what I think is a better harp the Delta Frost. Personally I have custom Golden Melodies because I to mostly single note work but really its the player more than the harp. James Cotton uses plain Marine Bands unmodified and he makes them things honk baby!
too2tall
Regular

Postby mike932 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:38 am

Where do you get your custom GM's? I was talking with Jason Ricci one night during a show, he loves the GMs, but uses a variety of harps while performing. He also said he plays customized GMs. I like the spacing on the Gms and was thinking they may be great when I use a neck rack. I usually play MBs, love the sound I get out of them. I have one GM in C, it is still going strong after 4 years. I hear of people blowing the guts out of their harps in the matter of weeks. I have lost only two and both of those were bottom shelf Hohners, the $5.00 ones. I have given up on the Weltmeisters, too much hassle to get them, but the one I own sounds great.
mike932
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:34 pm

There shouldn't be any reason to be blowing up harps regularly if you play amplified. I play amplified and with an acoustic jam, and imo playing acoustically with a large group of musicians (7-8 guys) requires more volume and it's much harder on the harps. As to choice of harps: I've probably got 6-7 different makes & models of harps in my case all the time, and I keep about 22 harps in my case. Having different harps resulted from just trying out various harps and then discovering that I liked different models in different keys, depending on the tune being played. So, I have three different Cs in my case, because I love the Hering 1923 for it's bell-like chording qualities and will play it in first position before I grab one of the others. In most keys, I only have one harp, but in the roughly 3-4 keys I commonly play in, I probably have 2-3 different choices each. You sure as heck don't NEED them all though. Different harps have slightly different qualities and may sound a little better on certain tunes. Overall, I prefer SP20s, primarily for their heft (they feel good to my hands) and because they're easy on the lips (I'm primarily a tongue blocker) , not having raised reed plate edges.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:26 pm

People who blow out harps in a matter of weeks are nearly ALWAYS guilty of playing them with an extremely excessive amount of breath force all the time, and usually have terrible tone to go with it, plus they'll be slobbering all over their harps. Best solution is learning to use much less breath force, which I constantly preach, because it will will give a player better tone, agility, prevent being winded, and the added financial benefit of making their harps last a helluva lot longer.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp