Minor Harps, one more time please

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Minor Harps, one more time please

Postby blomax » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:46 pm

[code][/code]Hey ya'll, I searched the threads for minor tuned harps and read what was presented b4. However I am sometimes braindead trying to read. We have a few songs my Git player wants to perform in minor keys. To my knowledge A-minor and D-minor so far, more to follow. Please tell me what key harp would be best to play these blues with him., One song he is doing is "Little Wing" in A minor I think,,and he is awesome on it. I was asked to back up with some sweet notes sort of keyboard sounding which I can play well but found I could play maybe 3-4 notes on 3-4 harps but could not find anything in the case to actually match up right.
I read in the previous posts about playing Major keys to cover Minor Guitar?? Any advice from ya'll will sure be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Lomax
blomax
Regular

Re: Minor Harps, one more time please

Postby blomax » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:47 pm

OK so he does Little Wing in E-minor ,,not A-minor :roll: , sorry guys,,Lomax :blink:
blomax
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:26 pm

Hey Lomax, my tuppence worth is to try third position on your D harp. Use pretty much all the holes from 4 blow to 8 draw. Sure someone can give you more detail than that, or some alternatives, but thats one way you could do it.

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby mukluk » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:53 am

Blomax, here's a link to kind of expand a little on what Jakey's advice stated.

http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/theory/thirdposition.html

Chuck
mukluk
Regular

Postby too2tall » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:11 am

Most minor harps are tuned to play cross harp in the same key your song is meaing if your playing "Summertime" in Am then the harmonica will be in Am but you play it cross harp position instead of straight. Let me know if you need more help. Like the others I use 3rd Position for a lot of Minor songs but I also use Minor harps on some as it gives you a little more tonal range than the 3rd Position does.
too2tall
Regular

Postby blomax » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:41 pm

Thank you TooTall, I will try that and report. And thanks to all ,gonna try the D 4-8,,,Mukluk, I tried to figure out that stuff from Jakey,,but its just a little further out from my brainwaves, man I feel so stupid sometimes,,rightly so I guess. Man I sure wisht I had paid more attention to that piano teacher when I was 9-12 yrs old.. geez,,,Lomax
blomax
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:38 pm

What you want is called a "Natural" Minor harp, designed to be played in the key of the song in crossharp or second position. I have several of them and they take all of the guesswork out of it. If the guitar player wants to play in Bm, you just grab your Bm harp and play crossharp.

You can try the 3 rd position approach but will have fewer notes available to use than playing in second position.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp