How to get the overdriven harp sound

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Re: How to get the overdriven harp sound

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:42 pm

[/quote]anyway tried it with my pod. used the 59 bassman, with overdrive and reverb, gated and with compression. awesome. also used the tweed dulux models and marshall plexi (quite good actually, think robert plant on when the levee breaks, verrrry dirty!). The cable is secure, gives a great signal and is a good length. i am glad i invested in this cable and the converter as i plan to purchase more mic's over the years.
so on the whole, £13 for a good mic, £10 for xlr cable, £7 for converter. £30 in total.
one final note. is it ok to cup the mic around the lower half of the bulbous head? also will the mic get damaged if the harp is blown touching the mic head? is it too close?[/quote]

..Can't get anything much cheaper than that I would think... :) Cupping the mic around the bulbous head (the wndscreen?) may make it slightly more liable to feedback....if it's a windscreen like an SM58 jamming the harp hard up against it won't damage the element which is behind the screen a fair bit...

...actually having a bit of room inside your cup between the harp and the mike may help your tone a little as well...
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:20 pm

A new Superlux D112/C bullet mic can be had from Thomann for £36, basically a copy of the Shure 520DX and not a bad mic for a beginner. The pictures don't do it justice.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_d112c.htm

I have one I converted to a switchcraft connector. I don't like fixed cables. It's not as good as my HiZ EV630, or my JT30 with '63 Shure CM, but it is not a bad mic for the money, better value than either a new 520DX or Hohner Blues Blaster
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 am

lately i've been leaving the 520's and 63o's etc. home and have been using 3 or 4 jt30's with different elements.one with a CR ,one with a crystal 151,one with a ceramic 127.i have one jt30 with the ears ground off and the grille stays on with set screws in the side,similar to the grille on a 520.i keep a non-astatic crystal in that,trying to save what i thought was my last 151.the other day i found an unused 151 element in a box of out of tune harps.i had no idea i owned this element.i think i'll put a CR/CM in it now.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby colmanL » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:52 pm

before you plug in any amp mic setup you got to have resonance in your mouth and throat if you want that
fat sound.practice drawing in hole 2 , when the note starts in your mouth pull the back of you tongue down
just a little bit and it will jump to the back of your throat.. you will feel the note vibrate full and fat tone.
when you get use to this try other notes,warbles and chords.it`s a light feel thing but when you hit it you`ll
sound much different... than when you play amped you`ll see a new tone.e.g. any mic. pluged into a champ
amp will have a killer sound. also-think of gospel singing rather than folksie tone.......
colmanL
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:15 pm

What this all boils down to first, last, and always, is that good tone will always start off with good acoustic tone before anything else because if it's ain't there acoustically first, it still won't be there amplified.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby too2tall » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:15 am

Shure Unidyne 547 can be switched from low to high impedance easily without transformer.
too2tall
Regular

Postby blues devil » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:23 pm

All the advice on technique are absolutely sound and that is what you should concentrate on. However, to give yourself the best possible start in terms of rig - check out technobird's range of mics. They are the best production mics I have ever used particularly the dynamic elements - white hot man! Tell him Kenny from the Blues devils recommended him to you and I am sure he will do you a good deal.
blues devil
Regular

Previous

Return to Blues Harp