Duh. Take your backup mic, Stupid!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Duh. Take your backup mic, Stupid!

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Our jam group played at a little club last week, and I decided to travel light, so I didn't take my keyboard...just my harps, and a little amp, and my green bullet. I left my gear bag at home, with the chords and my backup harp mic, and my vocal mics in it. Sure 'nuf, about half way through the evening my mic started to send some scratchin' and huffin' through the amp. It was intermittent, and probably due to a loose solder in the mic case itself, but I had no backup mic to plug in, so I had to tough it out. The only people who noticed it were the drummer and me. The moral of course, is if you don't have a backup mic, you oughta get one, but secondly, if you have backup mics, ALWAYS take them with you, 'cuz you never know when you're gonna need one. I'd practiced with the offending mic jus' the day before, and had no troubles with it, but the problem seemed to occur halfway thru the evening. So, the 520 is goin' to the shop, since I don't repair stuff myself. It'll be good to play through the Blues Blaster for a while, just to refamiliarize myself with it, but now my backup is a 57, which I've never blown through. I hope I don't need to. I think I'll keep my eyes open for another backup mic, used, so that I've got two backups I like.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Duh. Take your backup mic, Stupid!

Postby blomax » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Been There Man, I have a couple of backups, but same as you left them back at the shack while I was hustling to get to a gig about 10 miles away. Ended up playing thru a 57 with a hankerchief over it. Way different, but I dont think anyone in the club knew much different. I got one of those little wooden mikes now that I keep right with my harp belt all the time and that way I always got a backup. LIfe is Truly Good, Blomax
blomax
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:53 pm

Maybe I'll look for a used backup mic that I've never played through before, jus' to broaden my experience. Or, I could buy a more expensive custom or reconditioned vintage mic and move the 520D to backup status. It's hard to rationalize spending much on gear right now though, since I'm not giggin' regularly and the stuff I've got is working. I'll never leave my gear bag at home again though..even if I jus' leave it out in the van and dig it out if I need it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jaybird803 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:01 pm

That happened to me once. Before going out I decided to travel light, and only took the one mic. There was a little voice that said "take an extra mic", but I did not listen to it.Sure enough, there was a loose wire and I had to play through a borrowed house mic. I was really POed at myself and embarassed also. Now I always have a backup mic, extra full set of harps, and a small backup amp in the car. Moral of story- When you hear voices in your head, you may not be crazy.
Jaybird803
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:51 pm

I got some quick service at the music store with that mic today, on my lunch break. It turned out that the ground on those Mexican 520DX Green Bullets is soldered to the spring that coils around the cord as it goes into the hole on the bottom of the case. The cord had twisted around and chafed a little, so he straightened it back out and put a shrink-tube around the whole thing to hold it steady. Any of you guys know a better solution to this problem...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Harp_Hog » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:31 pm

Im Lucky, I love sharing my 'stuff' with other harpers, and tend to carry: an EV630, my new (old) Main Mic, a lovely old JT-30, a GB 520D(with a volume pot fitted) an American DT4 'Salt-Shaker) and no name stick-mic.....

Not been caught out yet, and they all make a good conversation piece...

Mitch THH
Harp_Hog
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:49 am

i usually carry at least one extra mic,and an extra g,c,a,and d.i like to have the backup similar to the main mic,say a jt-30 with a ceramic or CM,and another jt-30 with a crystal.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Return to Blues Harp