Sticky Reed in Meisterklasse??

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Sticky Reed in Meisterklasse??

Postby blomax » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Hey Ya'll, a couple years ago I bought 3 New Meisterklasse Harps while traveling in Berlin. They all blow great and I've played them very little saving them for easy playing. As I posted b4 I am a wet-mouth and tend to blow out reeds on my spec 20's. I've gotten much better at not doing that. But on this "D" Meisterklasse the 4 draw barely will sound . I've tried taking it apart and noticed the bottom reed on 4 was stuck in the hole. I adjusted that,,but it still does not sound. I used a glasss of warm water, tapped it , and dried with soft cloth. No different.
Could someone smarter than me explain any other methods of adjusting or do ? It looks like the reed plates could be replaced on this aluminum body. But this is beyond my experience. I'd like to save this baby, it has great tone, but a man needs his 4 draw. Thanks in advance for any help. Jeffery (Blomax)
blomax
Regular

Re: Sticky Reed in Meisterklasse??

Postby mike932 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:42 am

Try using a very fine emory cloth on the reed. Just rub it a little, wrap the cloth around a toothpick and just rub the 4 reed . I own one meistterklasse in low D. never had a problem.
mike932
Regular

Postby too2tall » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:20 am

I bought a Masterclasse in Sweden while I was over there and thought it was one of the worst harps I ever played on. Maybe just the one I bought but convinced me to never buy one again. I think the Suzuki's Pro Master is much nicer and has the same aluminum billet for that bright tone you must want. I will stay with my GM's until someone convinces me they have better.
too2tall
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:28 pm

When you say adjusted the reed, did you mean that you regapped it or did you get a special reed alignment wrench to center the reed in the slot properly?
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blomax » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Bob, I do not have a tool, I just moved it a tiny bit so it did not bind in the hole. If you may give me some more information I would greatly appreciate it. One would think a master jeweler would be able to fix this thing,,but it has eluded me this far. And I tried the emery ,,that didnt work. Thanks for any help, Lomax
blomax
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Although some jewler's tools (mainly needle files, which are often called jeweler's files, and screwdrivers, but the correct screwdriver for the MS Meisterklasses are Pozidriv #1) are used, they will never have reed alignment wrenches. Hohner, Hering, Seydel, & LO all have repair tool kits, with my biggest beef with those being the quality of the files and screwdrivers, but the two tools that are absolute must haves are the gapping tools and the reed alignment wrench, but they will only fit their brands of harps and nothing else. These tools are worth the price of those kits alone. Hohner's come with the special epoxy they use for the windsavers on the chromatics (which is the best in the business for them), a dual purpose screwdriver that has both slotted and pozidriv #1 on them. In terms of overall tool quality, the Seydel tool kit has files and screwdrivers made by Wiha, which is a professional quality grade toolmaker along the lines of pro tool companies like SnapOn and Matco.

You may also have a burr on the reed and what you want to get is knife style needle/jeweler's file, but do not ever get the crap you see in bargain/hardware stores that are made in either Taiwan or China because they're horrible and leave worse problems, so do not get anything less than a Sears Craftsman. When it comes to tools, don't be a cheapskate because they cause far more problems than what they're worth.

The harp may also have a bad rivet job happening, which during the 80's, was a common problem with Hohner, and what you can do is get a nail set and a good quality tack hammer and GENTLY tap down on the rivet, but under NO circumstances do you ever smack it from the butt end of the hammer because that would far too much force and could damage things in a hurry.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:55 pm

I thought you could use a toothpick or anything thin and pointy as a gapping tool. That's what I've read in lots of online articles about gapping. I don't gap my reeds, but I'm going to start soon. I have a couple of old Marine Bands that I'm going to retune and attempt to gap and emboss and use to learn how to overblow on.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:11 pm

I've used pocket knives for that purpose, but whatever you use for gapping, do not ever try to bend the shape of the reed or you will cause creases which will severly weaken the reed, but what you want to do is gently stroke it as much as possible until you get to the desired gap. Overblow gaps tend to be lower than for the traditional blues player to make them work right.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp