Back to basics

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Back to basics

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:26 am

For a variety of reasons my harps have largely been gathering dust over the last 12 months. Work, a lack of people to jam with and any number of things have kept me from keeping the old skills in check. Last night I finally found an hour to dedicate to some long neglected practise. A few faltering steps at first - I'd pretty much forgotten how to bend and that old 2-hole draw demon popped up to bite me in the backside - but a few train rhythms later I was wailing away and having a great time of it. A lot of the former chops have faded away but the spark is back and I'm really looking forward to to re-learning my former skills.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Back to basics

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Good on ya' J-Ro! I've had the same types of issues, trying to find time for keyboard amongst my harp playing. I've been playin' harp so long (about 40 years now) that it takes much less to maintain my chops than it used to, but I think necessity drives my practice time. Right now I'm playin' alot more keyboard with my jam bunch than I have in a long time, so I've got tunes I need to work out the parts for,and I need to learn more skills to meet the increased demands... so I spend more time practicing boards than harp right now. If I found myself back in a gigging blues band where I played strictly harp, I probably would devote very little time to my keyboard. One of my music buddies whom I've known for about 30 years has imparted some of his "laid back" wisdom to me: he says to look at art like you're a catfish layin' by a log on the river bottom, and let the food come to you. It probably provides for slower growth, but less stress, and maybe more quality.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Back to basics

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:08 pm

It's crazy how stuff like that sticks with you though.

I haven't even touched my bass since I was probably 18, and haven't played in a band with it since I was 17. But a guy I was in a band with when I was 15 found me on facebook and asked me to come play with him again. So I dust off my bass, go down there on Sunday, and proceed to remember every single song we used to do even though I haven't thought about them in at least 5 years.

I mean, it was a little sloppy, but it was still in there.

Now you make me want to go play some harp. Stupid job!
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp