Reeds of many Colours.

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Reeds of many Colours.

Postby Ozzie Blues » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:06 pm

I may be going off the path a little here as far as " The Blues " is concerned
but ,.. it never ceases to amaze me how such a tiny Instrument can affect people's emotions so much !
Take Neil Young's backup harp for Joni Mitchell's " Furry sings the Blues",
Haunting!, he sets the Mood perfectly , Annie lennox's " thin line
between love & hate", solo on fire, and R.E.M.'s Find the River, subtlety,..
that's just to mention a few.
My Father, was arguably one of the best Chromatic Players in Australia, playing
in the Style of the great Larry Adler, ( he got to meet him a couple of times. }
I remember him bringing tears to Audience's eyes during such Classics
as Embracible you,... not to mention others, and then, blowing their minds
with his own Arrangement of " The Ritual fire dance".
An Instrument he only picked up again through circumstance in retirement after
a 45 year hibernation, but one he loved and played with such Passion! Thats
what it's all about right!
Anyway Guys, I apoligize for my moment of self Indulgence! Happy Harp'in :oops:
Ozzie Blues
Regular

Re: Reeds of many Colours.

Postby Jaybird803 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:10 pm

Hey that is what it is about. Music creates memories. I remember listening to my Dad play harmonica as we took car rides to "up north" Wisconsin to visitmy grandpas everyweekend. They were mostly old songs he had learned as a kid. "Redwing" ,"The Wreck Of The Old 97","Casey Jones" others. It is what prompted me to want to play harmonica.
I thought the music that came out of that little piece of steel was pure magic, and in some ways it was. There are two songs that have no name I know of that I still occasionally play.They bring me back to that 52 Plymouth, sitting right next to my Dad. The real time machine!
Last edited by Jaybird803 on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaybird803
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:28 pm

You guys are gettin' me all misty eyed...

My Dad's father, a German immigrant, played the harmonica. It was just an old Marine Band, but he could surely coax magic out of it. Majestic Marches, Waltzes, Polkas and all manner of folk tunes complete with self accompianment aka background chording. He died in 1966, when I was only 10 years old, but I still have wonderful memories of sitting on his knee, listening to him play.

Gramps was my inspiration for taking up the harp. I saved up my money and went out and bought one a year or two after he passed. Been playing ever since. Thanks for your post, I needed a fresh reminder of my roots.

Harp on Gramps!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 68Champ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Well, I'm the first in my family to pick up the harp. My daughter follows me around with one of her own, demanding that I teach her another song, and my son is more interested in the noise I make than his 15-year-old sense of "cool" will allow him to show in public. One day, I expect I'll be the Grandpa others remember so fondly. You give your kids the gift of music. Nothing much can top that. :D
68Champ
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:10 pm

My dad was a great jazz and big band trumpet player, but he played several other instruments well, and "Mouth Organ" was one of 'em. Who'd have known that his rare displays of musicianship on his Chromonica would influence me to pick up harp as my main instrument..? When I visit my mom (she's 82 yrs. old now), she almost never asks me to play the piano for her, but she almost always asks me to play her some tunes on the harp...she loves blues harp.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:03 pm

I'm the only one in my family who plays the harmonica. In fact, except for a cousin who's an excellent sax player and a step-brother who's a professional guitarist, I'm pretty much the only one in my family who takes music seriously.

I hope to teach my nephew harp one of these days, but since he lives overseas that might be kind of difficult.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:50 pm

When I saw the title to this thread the first thing I thought of is the pastel colored plastic lidded harps I bought from the top of the music store counter...they were about $2.00 each and I bought about 5 of 'em, to give out to drunks at gigs, saving the pink ones for the gay guys I thought were tryin' to hit on me,lol . They actually play decently for dirt cheap harps. I still have one or two in my gear bag.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:56 pm

The big reason I took up harp was - I wanted to try to play a musical instrument but thought i wouldnt be able to. Better to spend £10 on a Harp than £100 on a guitar, I figured.

Probably one of the finest decisions of my life at that point.

I love the look on peoples faces when they hear one played well. It charms people more than the most complicated guitar solo can.

I still haven't worked out why I like them so much..
JakeyVimto
Regular

Return to Blues Harp