Wiring options for a Shure 520DX

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Wiring options for a Shure 520DX

Postby FunkyStickman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:13 pm

I've picked up the harp again after spending months moving and unpacking junk. However, you guys know what happens to the 520DX when you step on the cord... what kind of options can I use? I've seen people wire a short pigtail with a female jack, but that doesn't keep the wire from pulling out of the mic body. The lame little spring deal just doesn't hold the wire. Is there some way I can use a zip-tie or something inside the case to hold it?
FunkyStickman
Regular

Re: Wiring options for a Shure 520DX

Postby MakaInOz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:53 am

I've got a 520DX and I put a loop of mic cable through a belt loop in my jeans on its way to the amp. When you (or someone else - got to love those wandering guitarists) tread on the cable it tries to pull your pants down, but generally just pops out the loop of cable before the tension hits the mic.

Make sure you leave enough cable on the mic end for 'manoeuvering' though.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:03 pm

I wired a XLR connector about 3" down the line on mine, but I think it's a good idea to drape your cord over your shoulder from behind you when your playing, and drape some slack into the cord that hangs in a loop on your chest. If you do step on it, you'll prob'lly just take out a little slack. Or, you could go to a remote wireless mic and get ridda cords.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angerboy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:21 pm

The wires inside the shell are very thin and are easily damaged. There isn't a lot of room inside that shell for any extra stuff.

I've fixed one of those microphones three times because the owner has stepped on the cable. I recommended that he replace the cable with a Switchcraft screw on connector. Then he can use an adapter and a standard guitar cord.
angerboy
Regular

Postby FunkyStickman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:27 am

Okay, folks, I played my very first gig with the harp today!!! I played in a Mardi Gras parade, about 4 hours or so, with a bunch of cool guys. We only did 5 songs (repeated), since it's a parade. I played guitar on 4 of them, and switched to harp for one. We did "Play That Funky Music", "Soul Man", and "Beer" + "Take On Me" by Reel Big Fish, which was a lot of fun. And I pulled out the harp for "Sweet Home Chicago", which was an absolute blast!! Dressed up as the Blues Brothers, no less! I was in blues heaven. 8)

Anyway, to keep it on-topic, how I fixed the wiring problem:
Since the wire kept pulling out of the little metal coil/strain relief, I basically forced the spring further down onto the wire, enough so that it wouldn't accidentally pull out. Then I just put it back in place with the setscrew. Standard stuff, really. But I coiled the mic cable twice around my forearm, and over my shoulder, which allowed me to move around on the float without pulling it out. I had to turn the mic around so the cable would coil right, and I was worried the whole time, but it worked!

I'll pester my buddies to let me know when they get pictures up, and I'll post 'em here. Happy Mardi Gras!
FunkyStickman
Regular

Return to Blues Harp