Chromatics

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Chromatics

Postby JakeyVimto » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:29 am

Hey up good people,

I just paid off a credit card and I'm up for my wage review at work next month. If all goes well, I'm buying myself a little present. I think a chromatic harp is what I'm after. I read up a bit and figure a 12 hole chromatic in C is the thing to get. Also noted that in making the transition from diatonic to chrom, adjustments will have to be made, so I'm thinking of getting the cheapest OK one I can, learning on it, then getting a good one once I have the basics down.

Choice locally isn't great, I was looking at a chrometta 12, but I cant get much in the way of testimony about brands other than hohner anywhere, so its difficult to know what to think of huang, suzuki and other manufacturers.

Anyone care to weigh in with an opinion? Cheap but playable starter is what I'm looking for initially.

Cheers,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Re: Chromatics

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:44 am

...consider the Hering Chromatics..

..The 5148 is available online for £54..that's a good deal for a three octave instrument with screwed reedplates...

..I'm fond of my Herings...though like my Hohner CX12 best of all..it's considerably dearer though..!
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:34 pm

Cool, cheers. The CX-12 is catching my eye, but I figure I'll ruin at least one budget chrom before investing in one of those.

If the Herings are even reasonably sounding thats fine, as long as they aren't too hard to play and are hard-wearing enough.

£54 is exactly the kind of price I'm looking for, for this one.

Macteeth, you any recommendations for harp players to go and see who may pass through Glasgow and the surrounding areas occasionally?

Cheers,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:34 pm

JakeyVimto wrote:Cool, cheers. The CX-12 is catching my eye, but I figure I'll ruin at least one budget chrom before investing in one of those.

If the Herings are even reasonably sounding thats fine, as long as they aren't too hard to play and are hard-wearing enough.

£54 is exactly the kind of price I'm looking for, for this one.

Macteeth, you any recommendations for harp players to go and see who may pass through Glasgow and the surrounding areas occasionally?

Cheers,

j

The 5148 has round holes in the mouthpiece and screwed reedplates...they are easier to play than my old square holed nailed reedplate Super Chromonica..they're not as easy to play as the CX12 though..!

Chromatics generally need to be treated with a bit more respect than diatonics...even if only because they cost more...don't be using too much wind on them..and remember they really ARE chromatic...you don't have to make a bend to get a note that isn't there..

..any recommendations for harp players...? Go and catch them all, you'll learn something from every one of them even if it's "I'd hate to sound like that..!" :lol:
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby dcblues » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:24 pm

You may want to start with a 12 hole solo-tuned diatonic before you get a chromatic. A solo-tuned diatonic has the same tuning/note layout as a chromatic, but with only half of the notes (no slide, and two reeds in each hole). A solo in C is a godo one to start with to learn the basics of third position chromatic playing. Most chromatic blues is played in third without using the slide much (or at all). There are many exceptions to this of course.

I like the CX12 for more melodic stuff (which I don't play much, but I'm trying to learn) and the 64 Chromatic for more chhordy/octave third position blues.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:09 am

Thanks DC, on balance I think I may still plump for the chrom. I do play a lot of non-blues music, in some of which I find it difficult to get the harp to sound the way I want, so I'd be interested to experiment with a chromatic harp.

The third position thing does make getting started learning the thing a bit less intimidating though.

Cheers,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Macteeth, where in the land of blue paint are you? Jakey's in Glesga, Houndog's in Edinburgh not far off the end of the M8.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:09 pm

...I'm from the land of Furry Boots in the north east...about halfway between Aberdeen and Dundee..

..I know Houndog..great bloke!!...Don't know Jakey Vimto though...but a class name...!
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:03 pm

The other other national drink...

And sponsor of many youth teams....well young teams anyway :D
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:33 pm

i say get the chrometta 12 for starters. that' what i learned on. it has large square holes and is very easy to make sound out. to me one of the best values on a real harmonica left these days! while it can be blown out, much can be learned if a gentle touch- good wind control- is used.

i have 2 hering 48's in my case, and i use them frequently, a baritono in C and a G. they are to me the best value quality instrument on the market these days.
jbone1
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:28 pm

i played super chromonicas for years,maybe 30 years..then one day to help a friends music store out i bought a chrometta 8.holy cow ,did my chromatic playing take off.i now also use a hering 10 hole.very good tone and slide with the hering.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:58 pm

...so Jakey V...How you getting on with the Chromatic...? 8)
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Shameful admission time...I haven't put the time on the chrom. This is normal behaviour for me. I learn things eventually, not the order I purchase them.

At the moment, I'm trying to get a set together for my steel guitar, and a couple of songs on the banjo, with the harp rack and the stompboard. Oh yeah, and I'm I'm now the singer in the rock band I up till recently just played bass in.

I'll get there, but the one thing I found is that the isnt much in way of instruction material for the chrom in shops etc.

Any favourites kind passers by would like to suggest?

j

P.S. Cheers for asking, McTeeth!
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:00 am

...good luck with the solo set Jakey...sounds like fun...

..instructional material for the Chromatic?...I've never used any, but there must be some...my Chromatic technique is pretty well limited to using it for Blues in third position and the ocassional first position song...and I basically transferred that over from Diatonic playing...

..in that sense I'm only using a faction of the possibilities in the instrument... :?
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:19 pm

I am planning to do a bit of theorising and figuring out more things to do in 3rd pos....but its a big with a button of the side fish! A button! If I dont press it occasionally, I just wouldnt be me.... And that means I should really figure out the layout a bit better.

Actually, I'm off into the great wilderness of the North East tonight, my folks are celebrating my dads 65th at a caravan near Elgin. Not taking any instruments, but taking a few books and some notepaper, see if I can work out the correct harp positions into a form thats stupidly simple enough for me, along with the chord question I asked in the acoustic blues forum. Perhap I can take a small holiday from my own ignorance, figure this out a little.

I tell you what though, I'd be moving on with playing more harp if I could find some blues guitars who play the way I like to jam with. No luck at all right now, hence the solo setup. I'd best learn to do both if I cant capture and train a guitarist...
JakeyVimto
Regular

Next

Return to Blues Harp