Heads up on a lectrolab amp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Heads up on a lectrolab amp

Postby thebluesbox » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:27 am

Im referbishing a lectrolab amp thats gonna be a killer little monster rig.
Be on the look out....... watchouut!! :mrgreen:
thebluesbox
Regular

Re: Heads up on a lectrolab amp

Postby bosco » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Cool...can't wait.

As many of you know, my main stage amp is a referbished Lectrolab R-800D which I loaded with 6x9 organ speakers. The story and pics are posted on Harpamps.com-

http://www.harpamps.com/lectrolab/bro.html

It's still my favorite harp amp of the five I own- over a Fender Bassman RI, Fender Musicmaster Bass, Fender Champ and Pignose G40V. The R-800 just has the tone I'm looking for.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:16 pm

thebluesbox
Regular

Postby angerboy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Hey Bosco. how does that Musicmaster Bass sound? Are you using the stock speaker in it? How does the volume compare with the Champ and the Pignose?
angerboy
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Isnt the music master a lot more watts?
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby angerboy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:48 am

I suppose. It's a 100% increase in wattage. There are two forms of the amp. Both put out about 12 watts. One with a pair of 6AQ5 power tubes and another with a pair of 6V6's. I think one of the 6V6 versions might make a killer little harp amp with the right speaker.
angerboy
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 pm

one of the 6V6 versions might make a killer little harp amp with the right speaker.

It does. 12 tube watts, point to point wiring and only two knobs- tone and volume. What else do you need? The original speaker was long since missing when I acquired the amp and it had a cheesey Realistic replacement. I just put a Utah 12 inch Alnico in it that came from a Gulietti Accordian amp (essentially a Magnatone 440) and it sounds awesome. I have found that speakers voiced for organ and accordian make perfect harp speakers. What you want to look for is a very small voice coil about the size of a quarter or less. They seem to have to have a longer throw so you can cut through the stage mix without needing mega-watts. As you know, more amp watts doesn't always give the breakup/overdrive harpers are seeking.

here's a link to the Musicmaster thread-

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5679

The cab is the same width as a Princeton, but taller to accomodate a 12 in speaker. The Musicmaster blows the Champ away on total range and bottom end, I gig with it all of the time without having to mic it. I've got a 6x9 in the Pignose G40V right now and it really squawks with the 40 watts, but I'd have to say the Musicmaster has a better bottom end... a bit tough to compare the two, totally different animals.

If I had $300.00 bucks to drop on an amp, I'd buy a Musicmaster before the Pignose, there's usually several on E-Bay in that price range. They're easier to work on, sound better and will have a much higher resale value.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp