some harp stuff

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

some harp stuff

Postby watertore » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:31 pm

I have been listening to so many great sounding recordings on the web, that utilize overdubs, that I got inspired to do the same. Here are 2 that I did using a real drum and real upright bass track that I found on the blindmans blues forum. I learned alot doing these and will continue for with it for a bit I think. It is teaching the importance of isolation. My 1 man band set up has absoluty not a tad. I am going to have to figure out some baffle set ups for my rig. Feedback please on the recordings. Thanks

blowing the snow downtown
the world is dying

walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: some harp stuff

Postby jeffl » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:51 pm

Very expressive, as always, Walter. I really like the overall sound yer gettin' in general. As far as separation in the recording, I understand where you're goin' with that, but if you never make any changes in your setup, I'd pretty much guarantee that nobody'll care, or mostly even notice. I think you'd be doin' it primarily for your own values. I like a little more of the live sound with blues. I listen to some of these wonderful blues musicians nowadays with their high tech recordings and I salute the craftsmanship, but I can live without it. I think you overcome the need to inject producers embellishments with your expressiveness primarily on the harp but also in your vocals, and if you get too clean with your recordings, maybe you'll lose that advantage...I don't think it's a big deal either way; people who listen to your recordings are gonna do it because some little voice calls to them outa the middle of your tunes, not because it sounds better than the last Taj Mahal tune they heard.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: some harp stuff

Postby watertore » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:58 pm

Hi Bubba: I hear you on the sterile stuff. I am hoping doing this ultimate sterile recording format, for awhile, will help me come up with some ideas on how to build some baffles around my 1 man band rig. I am getting in a rut with my recording setup and figured this will mix it up some and a new direction will emerge. Pure isolation and pure bleed, are not for me. The middle ground is sounding good. Thanks for listening! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp