PA or amp or both?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

PA or amp or both?

Postby JakeyVimto » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:11 pm

Hey guys, I've played harp through a PA before, but I'm thinking I'd rather go through an amp this time, as I looking for a thicker more horn-like tone.

I read the whole thread onsplitting the signal between the amp and PA, but I'm not totally clear on the pros and cons of doing this.

Any wise harpers out there be good enough to pull my coat here?

Cheers,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:19 pm

My favorite rig is to use my amp and put a SM57 Shure mic right up to the speaker grill, slightly off axis & towards the edge of the speaker cone. The amp mic gets run into the PA Mains and the monitors. I like to have the volume of harp in the monitors lower for anybody who's singing, because singers usually don't wanna have much harp in their monitors. BTW, Jakey, I run my mic cord into a delay pedal (I own 2 pedals, but I prefer my cheap $30.00 Danolectro BLT Slap Echo) and dial the delay to maybe just 2, to add some depth to the tone. Some guys like reverb and some guys like delay, and some guys don't use either. If you prefer reverb but don't have it on your amp, you may be able to add it with the PA.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MakaInOz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:42 pm

A vocal mic through the PA should maintain a 'clean' sound. At least that's what the PA is supposed to do! Any harp effects are generated by your acoustic abilities.

A line out on the amp to the PA "usually" means you only get the impact of the pre-amp stage into the PA. Any power tube overdrive or speaker crunch will only come from the amp, not go into the PA.

Mic'ing the amp (on a stand in front of the speaker, or 'dangling') gives the 'full sound' af the amp output (including any amp or pedal generated effects) to the PA (sometimes too full - there may be other stage noises picked up by the mic). At most large gigs I've been involved with (as either an audience member or a techie's assistant, not as a player!) all the amps are mic'ed into the PA.

And then there's all the pre-amp options. Some tube pre-amps sound sweet straight into the PA. Harp Commander (1, 2, 3, and Junior) is designed to do that. It can input to the amp as well.

I guess there is no definitive answer - it all depends on what sort of sound you want to get to the audience, into the PA monitors and out of your amp. Of course cost and how much stuff you want to carry around can impact things as well!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:56 pm

Thanks guy, I have a wee korg ampworks that I'm planning to use, but I want I full william clarke type horn sound, so i'll go into the amp. I dont think I have space to get another amp in my flat, so I might just use a mate little amp and the ampworks to get the sound the way i want.

Cheers for making that less mysterious for me guys.

Cheers,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Return to Blues Harp