Tips For Raw Beginners

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Tips For Raw Beginners

Postby Old Stella » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:30 pm

This might help you learn harmonica. I know that the best words to describe learning any instrument are regular, systematic, and short practices. To avoid blowing a new harp out also, I:

Decided to give myself one year to learn - meaning a couple tunes that sound close to the original and the ability to improvise, plus learn bending on the easier, basic bending holes.

I bought 7 harps of a good brand so I HAD to learn. No turning back.

I practiced and just goofed off with the harp in my car to and from work, nowhere else. That's how I learned. Plus, a few tips from a harmonica playing buddy and John Sebastion's DVD.

So I had a structured practice regime that was fun too, and I had a goal to learn in a year. My harps were broken in slowly over time and still after 3 years they play fine. I wasn't pressured or embarrassed in public, because I wasn't in public - I was in my car. But the best advantage I believe is that you hear the harp clearly and deeply. Most people really get into their CD's or radio while driving. I really got into my harp. Driving is a right brain activity. So is music. They go together. You'll learn fast.
Old Stella
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:54 pm

Thanks Old Stella. You've just reopened the thread where we talk about about drivin' down the road, steerin' with your knees, drinkin' a soda, smokin' a cigarette, and diggin' for the right key in your case on the passenger seat,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:35 pm

jeffl wrote:Thanks Old Stella. You've just reopened the thread where we talk about about drivin' down the road, steerin' with your knees, drinkin' a soda, smokin' a cigarette, and diggin' for the right key in your case on the passenger seat,lol!

Everything but the smoking part. But I will be texting the daughter so it all even out. I'll also be changing CD's cause I just have the "C harp" stuck in the visor and the "A" in my pocket. The cruise will be set so all's cool right?
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angerboy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:22 pm

This could be a great thread that shouldn't be derailed...

Here is a great tip, which helped me out. If there are players in your area, go out and see them. Listen to them. Watch what they are doing.

I was fortunate. I started playing in the early 80's in Chicago. There were a lot of great harp players still around that were playing in the 50's. I saw them as much as I could and absorbed what I could. Sadly, many of those players are gone.

I never felt comfortable asking questions, because I considered those guys to be stars. After all, many of them were American music legends or had worked with legends.

That would have been one thing that I would have changed, because I have yet to meet another harp player that doesn't have time for people that have a genuine desire to learn.

Practice. While it isn't completely necessary, it'll be extremely helpful to learn how to tongue block.

Have fun. It supposed to be fun.
angerboy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:06 pm

Angerboy, yer points are well taken. I know when I started out, back in the sixties, seeing great harp players was a huge inspiration for me, as well as being educational. When I heard Paul Butterfield, Tony (Little Son) Glover, Corky Siegel (that's two Chicago guys!), and some good local guys, it really inspired me to see what I could do with that little instrument. I also feel that Tony Glover's book was a huge help to me, helpin' me understand basics-- especially tongue blocking. My dad had introduced me to tongue blocking and taught me how to do it, but Glover elaborated on what you can do with the technique. Also, I think Portnoy's CD does a good job of discussing moving between tongue blocking and lip pursing on the fly. I think there's as much need for tongue blockers to learn lip pursing as their is for lip pursers to learn tongue blocking.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jaybird803 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:14 pm

"That would have been one thing that I would have changed, because I have yet to meet another harp player that doesn't have time for people that have a genuine desire to learn. " --Angerboy.
Right on that!!
I have been going to opens mic for a while and always try to talk to and get to know all the harp players. From my view, it is not a competition but a fraternity. None of the other harpers I know can play quite like me, but at the same time, I cannot play quite like them either. I am always willing to lend any asked for advice, or take any well meant critisism. That's how we learn and grow. It should be fun.
I also learned while driving my VW with my knees, and then upgrading to a rack (Ha!). My cars had no radio, so I was the sound system. Still am.
Jaybird803
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:59 pm

Good points about learning from each other. There's a local blues band here with a front man who is and always has been a mediocre harper, but I love him. I listen to him any time I can, because even though I do alotta things better than him ( according to his own band ) he does many things well that I need to improve on. I learn somethin' everytime I catch his band. BTW, the guy is a great frontman, and a really good blues singer too, so you got a guy who's a passable harper, with all the other skills, and years of experience and tons of tunes in him....How could I not learn something from a guy like that? When people start dissin' his harpin', or tellin' me I'm a better harper than him, I always respond that my harpin' may be better, but I don't hold a candle to him in any other category or skill, and I've always known him to be very gracious in sharing his stage with me. He's a way better overall bandmate than I am at this stage. I go listen to any harper I can.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp