chromatic keys

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

chromatic keys

Postby eline » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:57 pm

Hello all,
I always thought that if you were playing chromatically that you used one harp and played all keys. Well I was on Dennis Gruenling's site the other day and saw that he had a link to a page the indicated what key/harp/position he played for his tunes. And one of the things I noticed was that he used several chromatic keys. Is this common for different songs? I've been learning different scales and licks on one chromatic, and I'm making some progress, but is swapping out the harp a more common practice? I'm wondering now if this is why it's been more difficult to learn the chromatic harp. Also, now I'm wondering if I reall want to spend an extra couple hundred bucks for a few mor chroms :?:
Eddie
eline
Regular

Postby dcblues » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:07 pm

Most blues players play the chromatic like a big diatonic, mainly in third position (C chromatic in the key of D). I saw "most," because there are exceptions. Paul deLay is one I can think of, and I've heard other blues players who also play jazz and other styles on the chromatic.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:39 pm

DCB is exactly right on this one, of course. If you find yourself developing a hearty appetite for "jump" blues, jazz, or swing, then you may wanna invest in the necessary chromatics. Check out one of our more knowledgeable and talented contributors, Barbeque Bob, who plays a fine chromatic harp ( http://www.barbequebob.com/ ) .
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp