memorizing a song from tab

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

memorizing a song from tab

Postby jagarner70 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:07 pm

What techniques have you used to go from reading the tab to playing by memory. Other than the obvious play play play. Im looking for something that might speed up the process of memorizing a 5 verse song. Thanks.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 pm

I've never learned songs from tab. When I've had to learn songs for giggin', I've just listened to a recording and fooled with it by ear until I got it. The last band I worked in was run by a great frontman who would record a cd of the tunes I needed to work on, and I'd take 'em home and get 'em down by ear, listenin' to 'em over and over, and runnin' back over the licks a buncha times. Sorry I'm no help.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:57 am

I try to get away from the tab as soon as I can. I just use the tab to make sure I'm hitting the right notes, then stick to listen/play, listen/play to get the timing right and then just keep playing.

I go back to the tab very occassionally to make sure I haven't picked up any bad habits (I'm prone to substitute what I think should go in certain places, rather than what the tab says).

The more I look at the tab the longer it takes me to learn a new song.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:36 pm

I will look at a tab to get a starting point if I can't pick it up by ear, but then I leave them alone. I used to go back and review later as Maka said but found I usually like my way better so I don't do that any more.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp