Gary Primich CDs

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Gary Primich CDs

Postby jeffl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:13 pm

I received my copies of Primich's "Mr. Freeze" and "Travellin' Mood" and got a listen in last night. He IS great to listen to. It's a very interesting blend of a musical genre that is blues with country leanings (very slight,but it's there), coupled with a nearly Chicago style harp that doesn't try to be Little Walter. From my limited perspective, it seems that a couple of his "honey spots" that identify his style are his tendency to actually throw a partial blow chord on the IV in passing, which gives his sound a little melodic twist, and his habit of tossing in short octave licks, even if only a beat long or less. He relies on the warble alot,but he warbles well, and he's totally strong. He's different enough that it ain't like listenin' to another wannabe Muddy Waters sideman. And, he inserted some totally non-blues,non-country,non-rock tunes on the discs as well. They may seem outa place on the CDs,but I like 'em for what they show you about his diversity. If you're a harper who likes to listen to different guys to pick up different stuff, and to be well entertained, you should consider pickin' up this stuff. I bought 'em through Amazon.com from used sellers for less than half price, primarily 'cuz I don't know if the ordering link on his website is being serviced right now, and I saved money.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:00 am

I totally agree.
Check out his Dog House Music too.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kingley » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:47 am

Couldn't agree more.
Gary was one of the best harp players going.

My personal favourite is his "Company Man" CD.
I have 5 of his CDs and there ain't a bad song in any of 'em!!
His songwriting is superb as is his harp playing. He had an innate sense of what made a song good, and never used his harp to twiddle meaningless phrases.
A real master of the less is more style!

RIP Gary
kingley
Regular

Return to Blues Harp