Don't Get Me Started On Harp Amps!!!!!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Don't Get Me Started On Harp Amps!!!!!

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:08 pm

When I was up to the Fargo Blues Fest a coupla weekends ago I did my usual "hit the local music stores" tour; I went into a little skunkworks that was so uncommercial that I had trouble findin' the entry door. There was an eccentric lookin' guy behind the counter,about my age (in his fifties), with long straggly hair, a tobacco pipe in his mouth and glasses riding low on his nose. A younger guy who looked like his kid (and was) was tuning up an acoustic in front of the counter. I said "You got any old harp amps layin' around here?", and he hit me with the "Don't get me started" part, and went off on a rant about how one of his old music buddies played through every old tube amp he had and finally walked out muttering, "That ain't the sound I'm looking for". I let the guy rant for about 10 minutes, during which time I concluded that he either didn't have any old tube amps around, or he didn't know a prospect when he got bit in the ass. I was tempted to say, "So does that mean you don't have any...?", but I didn't wanna give the guy another spin, so I walked out. I wouldna bought one unless I could steal it anyway, 'cuz I don't need one, but sometimes pissin' off a weirdo is worth it for the entertainment. I might stop back in there over the years 'cuz it looks like the kinda place where you might find some old treasure someday.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:21 pm

nebber Know!!HUH??? Iwas stuck out in da middle of frog holler georgia back in the early 70s in a rambler station wagon,and a flat tire, no spare,Old guy drove up in a studebaker pu, and was he wild about 70ish sellin moonshine, sooo I bought a bottle ta keep him there wif me at that time georga with hair down ta yer shoulders was not where ya wanna be, anyway we got shit faced on that shine and tellin stories, he bet me 5 bucks he could make fire jump outta his eyes, I took the bet and lost!!he dam sur could do it, He cranked up his old truck and held on ta a spark plug wire, and got his eye close ta a chrome eagle he had screwed ta the hood, and it would shoot fire outta his eye!! Dem old men are nuts!!now Iam startin to git there!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:49 pm

I used to know a guy who was into hallucinogens like mushrooms, peyote... He also liked to go camping. He was out in a remote area of the North Alabama mountains known as Bucks Pocket, where they used to joke that defeated Alabama gubernatorial candidates went. He was sitting out in front of his tent brewing a pot of coffee. Got this feeling like he was being watched. (Kind of like I did with the mountain lion.) Looked around slowly. There was an old guy in overalls with a double barreled shotgun in his hand, just standing there silently staring at him. My friend said "Good morning." No response. "Would you like some coffee?" No response. He poured a cup anyway and handed it to him. He took it. My friend tried to think of stuff to talk about. The weather, the crops, the game in the woods. The old man with the shotgun sipped on his coffee. Finished it. Set his cup down. Said "I guess I'll be going. I just thought you might be one of them hippies."
:shock:
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:33 pm

"There's no shortage of 'em" as my friend Mike used to say.

And those three stories prove it.

Which is why I won't go into the woods unarmed anymore. Whether I am looking for antler sheds, morel mushrooms or hanging tree stands I always sling the .22 LR or holster my 9 mm.

Meth labs and marijuana crops are more recent reasons to be careful.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:24 pm

:shock: Yup!! I have 110 acres, that in the middle of a 1500 acre track, I don't cross my fence lines however I do have my share of critters, I have what I think is the only pond , and I get alotta animals comin for water, I have seen huge Bobcats, a leopard,and several good size Rattlers,and the common copper heads, and pochers! so when ever I jump on my dirt bike or tractor or even walkin in the back area, I carry a shootin iron!! mainly my 44 black hawk,
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:12 pm

601blues wrote:...even walkin in the back area, I carry a shootin iron!! mainly my 44 black hawk,
I find mine goes well in one of those canvas shoulder bags they hand out all over the place at medical meetings, for walking around the neighborhood at night. More comfortable than squeezing a holster under clothes in hot weather, and the .44's good enough medicine for bears and mountain lions if needed.

I just look like a modern urbane metrosexual sort with a "murse." Or would if the rest weren't so thoroughly unfashionable.
:lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:02 pm

:D My wife had me a nice hand tooled holster made xmas befor last, however I was so fat I could not get it round my waist!! I believe it was a 40"belt!! But now Iam down to a 36-38 waist it fits nicely!!YEAH!! That 44 is a nice shootin pistol 8" barrell very accurate Ihave hit bottles at 50 yards with no problem. Its just an expensive target weapon, at 30 cents a shot!! I will buy a box of shells every spring, and fire the old box during the winter hunting season
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:04 pm

I load my own, and cast my own bullets, so it's cheap to shoot. Actually, that doesn't make it cheap, just means I shoot a lot.
:D

I've got a long way to go to get the nice Lawrence cowboy rig I bought when the Ruger was new and I was 16 to buckle again. I was still wearing that thing when I was about 30.
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:10 pm

I've never tried a harp through an amp. Maybe the built in effects in my little micro cube would help. Everything I ever tried to play on a harp sounded like "Oh My Darlin." I love a good harp and wish I could play one, but I hate "Oh My Darlin," so I don't pick up my harps very often.

Maybe I could use my harps for target practice. You know, do my part to make the world a nicer place.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:16 pm

david wrote:I've never tried a harp through an amp. Maybe the built in effects in my little micro cube would help. Everything I ever tried to play on a harp sounded like "Oh My Darlin." I love a good harp and wish I could play one, but I hate "Oh My Darlin," so I don't pick up my harps very often.

Maybe I could use my harps for target practice. You know, do my part to make the world a nicer place.
If ya' do start screwin' around with the microcube's virtual amps, stick to the counter-clockwise side of the selector switch David; the farther ya' go clockwise, the more gain you pick up, and it'll start to squeal like a pig. Dial in about 5 degrees of delay is all, and you'll prob'ly like the sound.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp