Fender Princeton Reverb

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Fender Princeton Reverb

Postby Jaybird803 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:34 am

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to come into possesion of a SF Princeton Reverb amp with a JBL K110 speaker . I have read many things about how nice these amps were for harp and never really had the chance to try one out fully. Once I played throught one for a couple of minutes, but did not appreciate or have time to tune in the tone. This amp is everything I read about it, and more. I will rate it one above my Gibson GA-5 for the moment. I still have to play with live musicians to fully rate this amp, but am sure it will rate high. I have tried at least 5 different mics with it, and have liked all. Ussually an amp may be good for one ,two, or maybe three different mics. If anyone else has tried or owns a Princeton, what say you?
Jaybird803
Regular

Postby bluesfyre » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:17 am

I found a '72 silverface Princeton a couple of years ago, and it has become by regular gigging amp. I use a green bullet with it, and usually its mic'd through the pa. Mine still has the original Fender stamped speaker in it.
I did re-tube it though with AX10's. It's a nice sounding amp. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Mick
Bad Poetry Blues Band
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby songdog » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:40 am

Hey Jaybird

Thanks for the post. I seem to recall there was a shootout of a half dozen harp amps awhile back and the Princeton came out on top. Can't remember were I saw the info though.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angerboy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:04 am

Here it is. Scroll down the page a bit. While great amplifiers, Princeton Reverbs are going for crazy $$$$.

http://www.hunterharp.com/ampset2.html
angerboy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:02 pm

angerboy wrote:Here it is. Scroll down the page a bit. While great amplifiers, Princeton Reverbs are going for crazy $$$$.

http://www.hunterharp.com/ampset2.html
I don't know what you consider crazy, but about a year ago Dave's Guitar in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, had one for about $400,with a stained grill. I'm assuming that you've seen 'em for much more than that.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:52 pm

Don't listen to angerboy! Those amps are completely useless for harp, and in fact emit dangerous radiation that can make you ill. Lucky for you, I am trained in hazardous tube amp disposal (HTUD a specialized hazmat tech certification) and I can take care of it for you for free! just send me the amp and I'll make sure nobody is hurt by it.

:)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angerboy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:02 pm

Your point is a good one. The prices of those amps have gotten so crazy, it's cheaper to build new ones, than to buy those old hazardous amps.
angerboy
Regular

Postby Jaybird803 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:54 pm

That makes the $200 I paid for my Princeton Reverb sound even better. I am still pinching myself, every time I read what others pay for this amp.
Jaybird803
Regular

Postby angerboy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:23 am

I remember the day when you could buy those things for $150. Champs were $75. The prices they fetch now are crazy. Absolutely crazy.

Non-reverb Princetons seem like a pretty sweet deal. Heck, the white knob Princetons are a steal in comparison with their brown tolex covered brethren.
angerboy
Regular

Postby Jaybird803 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:04 pm

That is so true. However the same can be said for all things in life. It just points out our age. The older you get, the cheaper things used to be. Ha. My Father had to walk 5 miles in 3 feet of snow to get to school, I only had to walk 2 miles in freezing rain!! All of that said, what I wanted to say in my first post still goes here. I have found the Princeton SF Reverb to be one of the best harp amps I have played to this day. Not the only , but certainly one of the best.
Jaybird803
Regular

Postby angerboy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:41 pm

Obviously, you're a youngster. I remember those days walking to school in the snow. That's why I live on the West Coast.

That being said, when a person can buy a tweed Champ kit for $425 or buy one already assembled for about $600, it seems insane to buy a 50 year old model with old components that smells like cat urine for a grand. Knowing how to solder seems like a pretty handy skill to have.

You don't find those $200 Princeton Reverbs everyday.
angerboy
Regular

Postby Jaybird803 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:15 pm

How Right you are. I also live on the left coast as a result of freezing my young butt off in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin.
Jaybird803
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:03 pm

> when a person can buy a tweed Champ kit for $425 or buy one already assembled for about $600, it seems insane to buy a 50 year old model (Princeton) with old components that smells like cat urine for a grand. <

You can't get away with mentioning a Champ (or kit) and a Princeton in the same amplified harp discussion. They are not even in the same league. Period. The Princeton remains the gold standard for harp and guitar, and yes the prices are insane. I've played through damn near any amp I could plug my mic into and the '62 tan tolex Princeton I played through produced the best, pure horn like tones I've ever achieved.

I own a '65 BF Champ and it's 6 watts and 8 inch speaker get blown away by the Princeton. The Champ is a great little harp amp, and I'm not knockin' them. But after a comparision, the Champ sounds tinny and has no bottom end. With 12 watts and a 10 inch speaker, the Princeton is the right tool for the job.

In the meantime, I have consoled myself with a '78 Fender SF Musicmaster Bass, the same 12 watt dual 6V6 circuit as the Princeton exept with a 12 inch speaker and a SS rectifier. Not quite the same but a reasonable facimile-

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

The on board reverb is what really seals the deal for the Princeton.
I can still dream........

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kingley » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:47 pm

Well it is fair to compare the Princeton to a Champ, but only if you are talking about the narrow panel tweed version of each.

The 5F1 Champ 5 watts, 8" speaker
The 5F2 Princeton 5 Watts 8" speaker, bigger cabinet than the Champ though.

However having said that, the Princeton that everybody uses as the benchmark for tone is the Black Face Princeton.
Which was indeed 12 watts, 10" speaker.
That is a totally different beast to a Champ and as you say Bosco, it is incomparable.
kingley
Regular

Postby dcblues » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:43 pm

I heard today that Pierre Beauregard's original Bassman (I think a 57) is for sale in the DC area. If you have a spare $10,000 lying around, it's a damn good harp amp.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Blues Harp