Koch

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Koch

Postby JakeyVimto » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:38 pm

I've always thought its a shame that the harp forum doesn't have an equilvalent to the slide forum 'johnson' jokes.

Then yesterday I remembered the Hohner Koch slide diatonic I bought a year ago. So I decided to ask everyone about my koch.

Question is, is a slide diatonic harp any good? I bought it cos either SBW II or Junior Wells played one occasionally. I just end up playing my usual licks then going the tune goes to pieces when I try to add in the sharp notes.

Anyone think these harps are worth a bit more effort to get a grip of? Or is sticking to diatonic harps until I decide pick up a chrometta a better choice?
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:28 am

a koch is a diatonic harp and with the slide in it plays sharps. I think your better off with a chromatic for that type of playing and stick with the diatonic for regular playing.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:11 pm

>I've always thought its a shame that the harp forum doesn't have an >equilvalent to the slide forum 'johnson' jokes.

Pappy J sells Johnson Blues King harps at C2C (the forum sponser).
You could get some of those and you'd have a Johnson to talk about just like Ricochet. The first harp I bought was a Johnson, I keep it in my case to remind myself how bad a harp can be.

Your Johnson would be smaller than Ric's but you could carry it around in your pants while he has to carry his in a special case. Once you got practiced up you could pull your Johnson out and go to it just about anywhere, at work, at the mall, on a street corner even at the doctors office. Just think you could be out in the waiting room playing with your Johnson and Dr. Ric could be in his office playing with his Johnson. Maybe you could play with your Johnsons together.

I gotta go.
Talk amongst yourselves.

JAck
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:37 pm

Your Johnson would be smaller than Ric's but you could carry it around in your pants while he has to carry his in a special case.

You're forgetting that Ric usually carries his Johnson just slung over his shoulder.

Maybe you could play with your Johnsons together

Would the result be Johnson Jam?

I too procured a 7 key set of Johnsons early on from Pappy. Three of them had out of tune reeds right out of the box. I mostly wanted the cordura travel case to house my backup harps anyway. Tis true, you get what you pay for.

These days I keep the Johnson set in a dresser drawer, so if I get the urge to play with my Johnson I have to go into the bedroom to get it out. If I play with my Johnson enough, I might eventually build up the confidence to play with it in the Doctor's office waiting room, at work or any of the other locations mentioned.

Guess that's why they call it "wood" shedding! :roll:

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:48 pm

So, Bosco, you don't put your Johnson in your mouth much, I guess. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:15 pm

Phew, for a day or so there I thought I'd misjudged the room and lowered the tone a little too far.

Having heards the difficulties everyone else has suffered with their johnsons, I might just back slowly away from this topic.

I'll keep my Koch handy in case I get bored though...
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:30 pm

So, Bosco, you don't put your Johnson in your mouth much, I guess

Not anymore, only tried it briefly until I discovered that my expectations were not met.

I'm very protective of my main harps, my Johnson is the only one I would let someone else put in their mouth. If I could find a young female protege', I'd be all set.

8)

PS- Jakey, I had a Koch years ago before I got married...that might be in the dresser drawer as well.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:00 pm

You're forgetting that Ric usually carries his Johnson just slung over his shoulder.

You are right Bosco and he never fails to mention it does he.

Phew, for a day or so there I thought I'd misjudged the room and lowered the tone a little too far.

Glad we could lower ourselves to that of the plank spankers.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesfyre » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:45 am

An interesting topic. A doctor I knew once tried to give me a whole bag of Johnsons. I have know idea where he got them from, as he's a pretty straight shooter. Anyway, I kept one, and play with it as often as I can. Anytime I'm on stage, and some cute little thing gets really interested, I'll just pull the thing out, and let them see it, and if they are really serious, I'll let blow on it a bit. I just love my Johnson.

Mick
Bad Poetry Blues Band
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby flatpaul » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:16 am

Play with your Koch when you're feeling nostalgic. I used to thinking about Koch's a lot when I was younger but I was just confused! I now know that nothing can replace or even really come close to rivalling a diatonic.

Little Walter blew and sucked his Koch like no other. Every so often I get the urge to grab a Koch but my wife gets annoyed and says:

"What the hell do you need another one for? Your draws are already full of toys that you aint playing with."

Paul
flatpaul
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:12 pm

:shock: Iam A BUSH man myself!!
601blues
Regular

Return to Blues Harp