Minor tuned harps

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Postby 601blues » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:53 pm

:? I do carry a green bullet in my case, IF iam with a good band that has a nice rythym sec,which would allow me ta drop my guitar I will plug in my bullet and play wif my hands,
601blues
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:24 pm

I only play very limited racked harp, as I'm not comfortable playing both yet, just a basic dylan-style holder, usually ends up sounding pretty folky. Other wise, I'll go with my little bottle of blues or whatever mike is available.

I gots a ways to go before I'm up with most of the guys here. I dont mind the idea of trying to get there though.
The bandanna idea is pretty cool though 601. I may have to look at that....

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:30 pm

GEZZ IAM SORRY BOSCO<I GOT YER THREAD OUTTA TUNE!!Any way here is my set up wifout the bandana, you see the baffel on top the brass ring and there is 1 on each side with your hands you can get themolo or wha, anyway I take a bandana rollit up and wrap around this area about 2 times and tie the ends this gives me my sound!Image
601blues
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:44 pm

This guy uses a homemade rig:

http://www.bluesartstudio.com/Komponent ... ouse11.jpg

I think he took a mic element and shaped paper mache or something around it. He gets a nice amplifed harp sound with it and he really sounds like a full one man band.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:55 pm

I GOT YER THREAD OUTTA TUNE

No worries 601, most threads tend to drift a little around here. The important thing is that we've got some dialog about all of this stuff to share.

I believe Jakey started this thread anyway...I just mentioned minor key harps in another thread and it took off.

Keep on harpin'...

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:58 am

:shock: DC Iam at home in da sticks with my wire less card and jus 1 Bar so it worse than dail but will post pics later,But as far as home made mic's Keep you eye open at places for old telephones the one you can unsrew the mouth piece and take out the mic, Now a good friend P.D. plays with the Cajun Fiddlers he is 85, makes all his intrument mic's outta thease all ya need ta do is attach the 2 wires to a input jack and come up with a mounting config and ya have it, And they sound amazing, he has em on his fiddles and squeze box,and banjo and guitars I will post a pic for those that are interested
601blues
Regular

Postby steel1953 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:04 am

Bosco is right......get some and woodshed. I use BOTH natural and harmonic minor tuned harps. The scale layout is a little different so you have to learn it but what the heck, didn't you buy it to do something different anyway? So take the time, and it'll reward you.
Whe you go to the "4" chord in a song, there's all sorts of nice octaves and stuff on a minor tuned that you just don't get on a Richter tuned harp. There's even alot of extra stuff for the "5" chord also. Nice major tuned stuff in the middle, believe it or not.
Besides blues, you can use the natural minor for stuff like Maleguena ( that can't be spelled right! ), Havenagila, and even though it's not easy, "Just the Two of Us" by Grover Washington for a few examples.
The scale is very different on the Harmonic minor. Less notes in the scale, which will challenge you to do more with less. More techniques, fewer notes. Really not good for blues, though in the hands of a overblow expert, I'm sure they could make it fit. GREAT for klezmer and Russian, Ukranian, Yiddish, etc.
Just like the country-tuned harps, I don't have a minor for every key. Just get a couple in the keys you play minor stuff with other people in.
Have fun expanding your horizons!..............
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby steel1953 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:29 am

I forgot.............the Munster's TV theme lays out nicely ona natural minor also...[/list][/b]
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:13 am

I feel like a traitor!! Itend to stick to what Iam used to,I was gonna pick up a set of Bushman Natural minors and have been lookin forward to tryin em out, However I stopped into a Local shop last night, ta pick up some new Knobs, and they had a full set of Lee O, natural Minors, so I decided ta just get them, first time for Lee Os, every Body here seems ta like em!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:50 am

steel1953 wrote:I forgot.............the Munster's TV theme lays out nicely ona natural minor also...[/list][/b]
Your right!! I found it!!HAHAHA, MAN!!!you guys were completly right!! Thanks Bosco!!!I have had the minors a little over a week and found some time to doodle wif em, man they fit me like a glove, and has really got me more excited about my harp playin, man things juct come so easy on the minors!!like green sleeves ,munsters haha, thrill is gone, most anything you have in yer head!! I think for me its a natural key, I lean toward minors in my guitar playin as well for me its more expressive and has more soul!! However I have developed some bad habbits I need ta work on, 1st one PUT Down the dam toilet seat!! 2nd, I have been useing cheap harps in practise at the studio, The cheap harps cause you to work much harder at bendin notes etc. so when you wrap yer lips around a real harp,I will over work when its not needed! Does that make sense???And control my saliva!Also, what I found with the Natural Minor is,Like I said I lean to minor on my guitar, Not realizing it But I have been working hard on the major harps trying to force them to submit to my minor style,by over blowin and bendin! Now with the Minors It freaks me out when I gently draw or blow and there is the note I want!!!! WOW! TOOK ME ALL MY DERN LIFE TO REALIZE THAT!! DUH!! Again THANKS GUYS FOR YER TIPS!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:25 pm

:D Iam startin ta get a nice assortment of keys! Image
601blues
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:40 am

Hey, that's great 601!

I knew the minors would fit you and as I said, wish I'd discovered them myself much earlier. That's a nice looking briefcase full of blues there. Looks like you still need a Bb to cover the key of F.

I like Bb- it's a nice full throated harp and I actually sing a couple songs in the key of F. Glad everything is working out for you.

keep on harpin'...

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:45 am

:shock: Yup I gotta Bb, its above the Ab lower right corner, in the unmarked leather pouches I also have a Low A,and D, and those are my new LEE Os upper right!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:53 am

:shock: This is my normal Harp mic set up, I use a Strinard mic that holds my harps in place, the neck rack gets in my way, if your not familuar wif the Strinard, it has several baffels on the back side to be cupped in the hand to get thick or vibrato effects, but playing guitar I don't have extra hands, So I use this banada wraped around to thickin the sound, thru a Valve jr, Ive used the Valve Jr Special,and love it, now I also have the Valve jr, Head,and just got the extenison cab for it, and have been usin it, I think I prefer the special for just Harp, but the VJ head, is great for the Harp/ vocal thru harp mic Image
601blues
Regular

Previous

Return to Blues Harp