Minor tuned harps

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Minor tuned harps

Postby JakeyVimto » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:21 pm

Going from Bosco's mention of lee oskar minor harps, would you recommend these? I generally use the relative major harp and seem to get along with that. Would minor harps give me more options?

Not that I need much of a reason to go buy more gear these days. I have to go easy on reading the slide forum or I'm going to end up shopping for a reso soon. :D
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:06 pm

I use them, but I play "racked" and am a bit of a cheeseball harp player.

From that point of view, they work well as a way of adding texture to a musical performance.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:17 pm

The only time I've bought minor harps is for a specific tune that I wanted to use it on; otherwise if I'm playing in a minor key, I find the major harp that works best for the notes I need. Even though I read music and understand chords and keys (including key signatures,with sharps and flats), I usually find the key of harp I want by guessing and fishing a little, and I've never felt the need to buy more harps.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:41 pm

Standard teaching is to play minor blues in 3rd position.
i.e. Cmaj harp for Dmin, A harp for Bmin etc.
I personally haven't had much luck with method and find minor blues difficult to play with. :cry:
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:01 am

hashtaff wrote:Standard teaching is to play minor blues in 3rd position.
I personally haven't had much luck with method and find minor blues difficult to play with. :cry:
I'm surprised how often I've heard guys usin' the wrong harp on recorded tunes and tryin' to cram a note into the lick that doesn't fit. I heard one on Little Charlie and the Nightcats the other day. I guess that's what happens when you record a CD...every amateur harper in the world gets to critique your work,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:04 am

I'm surprised how often I've heard guys usin' the wrong harp on recorded tunes and tryin' to cram a note into the lick that doesn't fit. I heard one on Little Charlie and the Nightcats the other day. I guess that's what happens when you record a CD...every amateur harper in the world gets to critique your work,lol!

That's interesting, which track was it?
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Standard teaching is to play minor blues in 3rd position.

That's the beauty of the Oskar "Natural" Minor harps. They are designed to be played in 2nd position, or crossharp, in the key of the song. In other words, use the Am harp for a song the band is playing in Am. Now you can use all of the licks you usually play in 2nd position and won't be missing notes as with 3rd.

Would minor harps give me more options?

You bet your ascot.

I've only had these since February and wish I'd checked into them years ago. Piere LaCoque of Mississippi Heat turned me on to these when I attended his harp workshop. Our band has already added several minor key songs to the setlist which we had previously avoided. Also fun to participate in jam standards like "Thrill is Gone (Bm)" and finally do the song justice.

Go for it! Check 'em out.

Bosco

PS- We recently added our first Chromatic song to the setlist as well. I'm determined to expand my skills and continue to grow as a musician- not just grow older with the same level of skills. :wink:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:03 pm

:shock: Funny you said dat Bosco, I have tried ta put harp to thrill is gone several times and stopped, due to da minor, And I do several tunes in minor,I reaaly like the minor sound,gives it a darker twist, Iam gonna stop thinkin bout it and get the minor set of bushmans,
601blues
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:27 pm

Beautiful. I use quite a lot of minor keys for songs I write, although few of them are really blues, but that could make some harp lines easier to stack up. And it means songs in Am no longer necessitate me reaching for my hated F harp! Victory!!

Thanks guys,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:38 pm

I am gonna stop thinkin bout it and get the minor set of bushmans

601- Good on ya mate, you won't regret it. It'll open up a whole nother world of musical possibilities.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:15 pm

:( CRAP!! I shoulda bought dem instead of that darn 600!!!gezz! maybe I can sell it and git dem minors!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby mukluk » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:34 am

Just ordered a set of seven Lee Oskar Natural minors from PappyJ's coast2coast site. Can't wait to get 'em now. Been playing at a few rock jams lately and I noticed a lot of their songs are in minor keys. Last thing I bought from coast2coast was a set of seven Hering Vintage 1923's. Great harps and great service as well!

Chuck
mukluk
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:05 pm

hashtaff wrote:

That's interesting, which track was it?
Hash, I'll see if I can stumble on that cut for you; The CD's in my rotation in the van right now.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:19 pm

:o I use a Strinard Harp mic, this holds the harp and has its own baffels,you can wrap yer hands around it and get plenty of honk, But the problem was I play guitar at the same time so I don't have hands to wrap around it, SOOOO I wrap a soft cotton bandana around the mic and baffels, this gives me the same effect, as my hands and gives me rich thick harp sounds, What does everybody else do??
601blues
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:10 pm

What does everybody else do??

I use an Astatic and I don't play guitar. :)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Blues Harp