solo tips?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

solo tips?

Postby jagarner70 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:16 pm

ok guys take it easy on me now. Lets say you are playing along comping where you see fit and a solo comes your way. What is the best way to go about a simple solo without getting crazy? Do I need to play a full 12 bars worth? How about a couple of licks you would recommend for simple solos?
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:09 pm

Most often, if it's a 12 bar tune, you'd take a single 12 bar turn, unless your bandleader tells you ahead of time to take 2 rounds, or if he waves you around again at the end of the first 12 bars. If you take 2 turns, it's always good to play the second turn differently than the first, or maybe even engage the help of a guitar player on the second turn and trade some licks. Much depends also on whether your bandleader wants you to duplicate a classic solo (if it's a well-known traditional tune). If you're not in a gigging band, I wouldn't worry about duplicating classic licks for any reason other than learning the techniques that spawned the lick in the first place. There's a million ways to play harp licks--jus' make sure that you're playing notes that are in the scale of the chord being played in the progression, whether it be the I,IV, or V chord (in the case of 3 chord blues).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

solo tips?

Postby jagarner70 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:20 pm

so I could shuffle along on a 4draw 5 blow, 4 draw 5 draw for the 1st 4 bar bars then a long split 6 blow slide down to a 4 blow short & repeat for the 5th & 6th bar then back int to 4, 5 shuffle for bars 7 & 8. change up the 4,5 shuffle to include 4 blows on bar 9 back into 6 blow into 4 blow for 10 and then 2,3,2 draw for bar 11 finishing with 2 draw into a couple of 1 draws bending at the end. sorry to be so length but i want to practice this solo as a starting point if it sounds ok.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:22 pm

I'm not the best person to ask about the blow/draw stuff. I've been playin' harp since about 1967 and I play mostly intuitively (even though I read music ) . I don't read harp charts-- ever -- 'cuz when I hear a lick that the bandleader wants me to play, I play it by ear, and if I have to take it home to practice it, then I take it home. Most experienced harpers I know will tell you that if it sounds good play it, remembering to leave space when necessary. Some bandleaders want all the parts duplicated exactly, and if it's their band, the only way you're gonna please 'em without drivin' 'em nuts is to do what they want. If you're not good at duplicating licks, you prob'ly won't last playin' with those guys. My rule is that if it's a signature lick that identifies a tune, you should play it mostly like it was recorded, but otherwise take whatever leeway you want.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:53 am

so I could shuffle along on a 4draw 5 blow, 4 draw 5 draw for the 1st 4 bar bars then a long split 6 blow slide down to a 4 blow short & repeat for the 5th & 6th bar then back int to 4, 5 shuffle for bars 7 & 8. change up the 4,5 shuffle to include 4 blows on bar 9 back into 6 blow into 4 blow for 10 and then 2,3,2 draw for bar 11 finishing with 2 draw into a couple of 1 draws bending at the end...

I knew it, he's been sand baggin'!

8)
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

sand baggin

Postby jagarner70 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:22 pm

I would post a file of a song I just learned if I could figure out how to post it. Then you'd know I was not sand baggin. Im still a rookie...
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp