johnny cash licks?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

johnny cash licks?

Postby jagarner70 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:53 pm

I would like to play along on some of the classic cash songs and I was wondering if anyone had some licks, versus etc that they could send me. I would also be interested in a good book if there is one available. Thanks.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Licks

Postby zebloos » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:40 am

Brother, please don't take this the wrong way...it is meant kind-hearted even if it sounds cold-hearted.
You'll never learn the harp by waiting for licks from others or by reading books. Just listen and play along to the record. Keep your harp in your pocket and play every minute you have a chance. Listen to Johnny and follow the best you can, over and over.
You can read a primer book or get a DVD to help you get started---but nothin' and nobody can substitute for just listening with an open ear and blowing over and over.
zebloos
Regular

cash licks

Postby jagarner70 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:02 pm

I plan on buying a couple of cds this weekend but I was just looking to jump start the process with a little help from someone familiar with his songs.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:12 pm

Country music can be tough to tackle on the diatonic.

Charlie McCoy, Terry McMillan and other great Nashville harpers used "Country tuned" harps with the #5 draw reed tuned up a half step. This allows you to play straight harp country melodies in 2nd position which also gives you the option of bent or blue notes not found in 1 st position playing where straight harp is usually played.

Having said that, Johnny was a hack on harp and just fudged his playing by skipping the melody notes that are missing on the harmonica. Listen to his version of "Orange Blossom Special" on At Folsom Prison and you'll see what I mean. I doubt if you'll find any tab or books for Cash's harp work, just have fun with it. If you use regular diatonic harps, you'll be right there with Johnny anyway!

Bosco

PS- That's Charlie McCoy playing the dazzling harp on Cash's "Get Rhythm."
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

cash licks

Postby jagarner70 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:12 pm

Bosco, you are always good to hear from. I guess I should have been more specific in my post. I am not trying to play like Johnny Cash but I would like to be able to comp on his songs. I thought someone may have some licks that they have found work nicely with his music. I like most of Cash's music and it is a nice change from playing the blues.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp