Blues harp recommendations

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Blues harp recommendations

Postby aztele56 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Hello all! New to the forum and have been thinking about picking up a few harps and giving it a try. Could anyone recommend some good quality starter harps and at least two of the most common keys (I'm thinking A and E but could use some expert advice). TIA!
aztele56
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:32 am

most people start around the C harp mark because its supposed to be the easiest key to start on. And that will allow you to play cross harp on G songs. Other than thiat point I would say gat any key you like, A is my fav E is real high you might want to shy from the high keys in the beginning. Good harps to start on are hohner special 20.

hope this helps.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:49 am

Have you read the harp lessons that you can link to from the main page here.....?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby aztele56 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:47 am

bluesbox thanks for the recommendation!

jeffl - I will definitely check that link out...thanks!

aztele56
Regular

Blues harps

Postby zebloos » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:34 am

Some of the other harpers here might think this is blasphemy, but:

My advice to you , if you are a dead start beginner, is to go right to ebay and to buy one of those new cheap Chinese sets of all the main 7 harmonicas.

They are perfectly fine to play around on for a while on your own. It will give you a feel for the sound of each key and the different playability of the deeper notes that require a bit more air (G) and the higher key that requires less air (F). Just blow these until the cows come home. They are not fancy, but they are not bad to start with. I have played for 35 years and I can make them sound good. They obviously do not have the fullest tone or the greatest product longevity, but they are quite fine for a period of time.

They will last you for about six months . By then you will either have determined that you are not moving forward, or that you are ready for some nice Hohner, higher quality harps. In the meantime, you will also be ready, in case the opportunity to presents itself, to play along with a guitarist in most popular keys and to learn simple accompaniment.

The fact is that there is only one right key--the key everybody else is playing in. As a new player, you will not be the one calling the key to play in. The guitarist will. You need to be ready or you are left out--unless you have a patient brother or friend to always only want to play in one key. If you have just one haro, it is very limiting. I know, I when I was young there were no cheap harps. When I finally got to the point where I had more than one key in my pocket, I thought I had it made.

See what I mean, brother?
zebloos
Regular

Postby aztele56 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:11 am

zebloos thanks for the advice. Being a beginner I can use all the help and advice I can get!!!
aztele56
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:36 pm

"Never play a note you don't believe." Ernest Banks

"Let's play two."

:lol:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:28 pm

Actually, you can get a Johnson set of harps cheap by clicking on the link to our sponsor, Coast to Coast Music, at the top of the page. If you link to "shop online" and scroll down the Johnson harps, you'll find a couple of multi-harp sets for sale, for just a little more than the price of one good harp. Shopping with Coast to Coast is a good way to help keep this forum alive, and you can't beat Pappy's price and service.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp