Hammond B-3 Leslie Sounds from Harp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Hammond B-3 Leslie Sounds from Harp

Postby blomax » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:49 pm

Sorry I been away from the forum so long ya'll. Got married , got real busy. We were in Marietta Ohio last week at a blues event. One band hailed from Columbus and the harp player was quite good, sorry dont remember anyones name or band name.
This Cat could get a very similar B-3 Leslie sound from his rig. really sounded like a big ole organ. I have been pretty happy with my sound and have a "harp commander II",, also have several different amps but still never been able to get that SOUND. It was awesome. Maybe someone here could enlighten me as in "HOW TO"????

Thanks in advance, and nice to be back here mongst ya'll,
Blomax, the other Jeff
blomax
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:11 pm

He was most likely using a digital effects processor, thru the mains. Some guys have abandoned using stage amps altogether, and simply run their harp mic into the board and into any effects they wanna use. Some guys run right thru Pods. There are Leslie, Chorus, and Flanger voices on most effects tools (popular manufacturers are DigiTech,Boss, Alesis,etc.), and I'd bet he's using one of these; OR, he's running thru a Motion Sound Amp or something with rotating horns. There might be some other way to achieve this sound, but I can't think of what it might be.....
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mukluk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:22 am

I've got a Boss ME50 that I use for harp and slide guitar. To get the organ type sound for harp, I use the "Rotary' modulation effect. really cool sound!!

Chuck
mukluk
Regular

Postby santo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:50 pm

The revolving horns of a Leslie produce such a pleasing sound, it is a perfect harp effect. I'm too much of a traditionalist to perfer the ditial effect over the real thing.
santo
Regular

Postby dcblues » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:15 pm

Carey Bell used to play through a Leslie speaker with some kind of effects pedal. It was an interesting sound, but sometimes he would overdo it.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:09 pm

Paul Oscher used to have (may still) a clip on his website of a melodica with a pickup played through a Leslie. Sounded great.
ricochet
Regular

Postby songdog » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Watermelon Slim does a song called Possum Hand on his Watermelon Slim and the Workers CD. He varies the speed of his vibrato such that it sounds just like he's playing thru a Leslie. I mean he holds a single note or chord and then speeds it up and slows it down just like the horn rotation.

I'm guessing he's playing through a Leslie or a digital effect, if not, he's got my vote for one the greatest modern day harmonica players around. It's a cool song so check it out if you can.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:44 pm

I'm going to see Watermelon Slim live this Friday at the Kalamazoo Blues Festival. As with most harp acts I'll be in the front row so I'll let you know the dirt asap.

Can't wait! :lol:

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:27 pm

bosco wrote:I'm going to see Watermelon Slim live this Friday at the Kalamazoo Blues Festival. As with most harp acts I'll be in the front row so I'll let you know the dirt asap.

Can't wait! :lol:

Bosco

Hey Bosco - I saw Watermelon last Summer on a stop over here on his way to the Telluride Blues festival. He was pretty good but I don't think he was feeling well cause he seemed to be nursing a sore throat. So he wasn't doing a lot of that wailing he does on his CDs. I hope he puts on a good show for ya.

Have fun.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blomax » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:43 pm

Well, I'll jsut try out some settings and pedals and all the crap I got laying around and see what I can work out. Bosco if you find out any tricks please let me know. Thanks for all ya'lls input. Lomax
blomax
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:24 pm

The short version- Slim was awesome, but no apparent technical tricks.

He played harp through a stick mic (looked like an old SM-57) and a cranked blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb miked to the PA. Didn't see any pedals or effects. I bought the Workers CD and got it autographed. I'm with SongDog, I think he has one of the best vibratos on the planet that just produces that beautiful Leslie like effect. I was so close I could see his throat muscles pulsing and did notice that on the long wailing vibratos he always tilted his head back to faciltate opening his throat.

What an incredible bluesman, gutbucket blues as honest and authentic as you will find. A consumate showman and entertainer as well, just had the flock in the palm of his hand. The Headliners were "Blues Guitar Women" (Sue Foley, Deborah Coleman and Roxanne Potvin) and while all accomplished musicians, they weren't even in Slim's league as far as showmanship. As the saying goes- "A tough act to follow."

WOW.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:22 am

Hey Bosco, I'm glad to hear he put on a show for ya.

When I saw Watermelon he was using an Astatic through his Fender. I saw no effects either. I thought his live tone was a lot different than the tone he got on the Workers CD so while he was taking a break I asked him about it. He said he used a little studio amp during the recording session but he didn't know what the brand was. He did say he offered the studio a thousand bucks for it but they refused to sell :x

I agree, Slim does have great vibrato both playing the harp and singing. But if you listen to Possum Hand on the Workers CD that just sounds like a Leslie to me cause on some parts he slows the vibrato down almost to a stop just like the horn rotation is deaccelerating a stop. Absolutely incredible if it's not a Leslie :o
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:23 pm

I've listened to Possum Hand half a dozen times now and it isn't much different from what I heard and saw on Friday night.

When you saw him, possibly his sore throat affected his vibrato(?). The performance I witnessed very closely matched "Workers" in harp tone and effect. I still say no Leslie, just God given talent and developed skills.

Bosco

PS- If you're a harper, DO NOT miss your earliest opportunity to see this ace. Incredible.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:00 am

Can't do that due to the tyranny of distance , but will do the next best thing and buy the cd ;)
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:51 am

bosco wrote:
PS- If you're a harper, DO NOT miss your earliest opportunity to see this ace. Incredible.

He's a pretty good slide player too. Uses a National biscuit played lap style.

He was nominated for 6 Blues Academy awards but got snubbed on all six. He was up against Charlie Musselwhite (Delta Hardware CD) on most of the nominations and while Delta Hardware is a mighty fine recording I think Slim deserved the nod on several of them.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Blues Harp