Beyond Blues Harp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Beyond Blues Harp

Postby dcblues » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:17 pm

What harp players outside of the blues do you listen to? Please don't tell me you only listen to blues harp players - you can learn a lot from other music!

Some of mine include: Larry Adler, Toots Thielemans, Howard Levy, Charlie McCoy, Wayne Raney, Mickey Raphael (I've been told I sound like him but I never tried to learn any of his stuff), Bob Dylan (say what you want about his style, but I like how it fits his music and he's the first musician I heard when I was a teenager who made me want to learn how to play the harmonica).
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:01 pm

I only listen to blues harp players. Ha! Actually, the only other styles of harp I pay attention to are the straight harp guys, like Dylan,Steve Earle, Tom Petty, and some country harpers; the only reason I listen to them is 'cuz I play cross harp so much that I tend to forget my straight harp (lst position) licks. I'm hopelessly sheltered,DCB.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:31 pm

Larry Adler is sadly underrated. Great gob iron player.
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:40 pm

Larry Adler, Toots, Stevie Wonder, John Sebastian Sr. (MONSTER classical chromatic player), Red Prysock, Hal Singer, Tab Smith, Gator Tail Jackson, Big Jay McNeely, Charlie Christian, Tiny Grimes, T-Bone Walker, Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, and many many more!!!!!

Larry is NOT underrated in my book, and he was, along with Little Walter, a HUGE influence on the playing of, IMNSHO, the greatest blues chromatic player of them all, George "Harmonica" Smith!!!!
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kingley » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:57 am

How can Larry Adler be underated when he is the most well known harmonica player in history ever?

If you ask anyone in the street over say 40, they all know Larry Adler, virtually nobody outside the blues world has even heard of Little Walter.

To play great lines on the harp, don't just listen to other harp players. Listen to Sax players, Guitarists, Pianists, listen to everybody!

Willis "Gator Tail" Jackson (a saxophone player) was a huge influence on the late great William Clarke. Rod Piazza is also influenced by Jump Blues Sax players, as was Little Walter, as is Dennis Gruenling.

Mark Ford and Andy Just are influenced by a lot of guitar players.

These are just a few examples.
kingley
Regular

Postby yjm_rules » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:54 pm

I still listen to a TON of John Popper stuff. Technically wonderful and IMHO tasteful too, I'd give anything to be able to play like Popper. His playing inspired me to take up harp in the first place and continues to drive my passion for it. Not blues but a fantastic player.

Martin
yjm_rules
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:40 am

popper has his oen sound, style and feel which fits his music, he sounds great for what he plays and I like to listen to his light rockish tunes. McCoy is another good country player if your in the mood for that kinda thing.
thebluesbox
Regular

Return to Blues Harp