2x12's or 4x10's

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

2x12's or 4x10's

Postby eline » Tue May 08, 2007 10:01 pm

I was just at the music store trying out a Peavy Classic 50, very nice. The guy at the store told me that he had another version of it at a different store with 4x10's. What would be the major differences in sound? I'm thinking that next year I'm going to buy myself a new toy (amp), and I'm thinking a 59 bassman or somehting close. But is there something else out there with 2x12's that would be comparable?

Eddie
eline
Regular

Postby angerboy » Wed May 09, 2007 2:14 am

You have a full tank of gas, why don't you head over to the other store and try it out?
angerboy
Regular

Postby eline » Wed May 09, 2007 4:15 am

Okay wise guy... I actually did go down to the local guitar center to try out a couple of other amps, and I'll tell you, I think the Fender 57 twin was my favorite. I kept toggeling back and forth with the bassman and twin, then I tried a peavey classis 50 4x10's and I didn't like it. I wanted to try out some other Fenders but the sales guy was having a difficult time with getting power to them. I still want to try out the Deville and one other. Sooner or later I'll get to them. Anyways it's all good.
eline
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed May 09, 2007 2:23 pm

Seriously, there's no substitute for listening for yourself.
ricochet
Regular

Postby angerboy » Thu May 10, 2007 3:56 am

You seem happy that you went there, yet I didn't see the word, "thanks" in your follow up message. :)

I just picked up a virtually new Bassman LTD for a really nice price. I'm pretty pleased with it, but I think it's going to be a while until I loosen up the speakers. They seem really stiff. :)
angerboy
Regular

Postby eline » Thu May 10, 2007 6:53 pm

All the advice here is always appriciated..."thanks." Actually I never made it the sister store of the first place I went too. Too far and cost too much to fill up the tank these days. But I did go two of the Guitar Centers, the second one just this morining, to try out other various amps. I understand that hearing things for myself is better, but I'm not I'm not certain I know exactly what I'm listen for at times. I can tell when I like to the sound/tone of one amp over the other, but I still have a difficult time distinguishing what the actual difference is between the 4x10's or 2x12's. I certainly can hear a differnce in sound and quality, but what I wonder is if the difference is from the speakers, the circuitry, brand, ect. When I try to compare another amp with similar speakers I can get a completely different sound :?: It's seems like it's hit or miss.

Some of the amps I've tried were the Fender Deville, 59 Bassman Re., 57 Twin (so far my favorite, but expensive :( ), Peavy Classic 50 (two of them: 2x12 and 4x10) The Peavey 4x10's was an older amp, and I don't think it was working very well. By that time I was out of time.

Any other suggestions as far as sampling goes?

Edd
eline
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Fri May 11, 2007 10:29 pm

have built a killer sounding 2x12 with a bogen 35 watt chassis,
Also Im building currently a 20 watt bogen combo with 4x10 and they are both great sounding rigs to the max!

I find the 12's have more bottom end while the 10's break up easier but they both have an overall great sound and you can acheive any variety of sounds and tones out of either with different amp and mic settings.
thebluesbox
Regular

Return to Blues Harp