Why I Play the Harp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Why I Play the Harp

Postby eline » Tue May 08, 2007 9:32 pm

Sorry guys but sometimes you just feel like writing something!

Why I play the Harp.
I didn’t always like the fact that played the harmonica. In fact, I really wanted to play the guitar but I just couldn’t get it. One of the reasons why I excelled at the harp is because I drove a 100 miles a day, and in order to avoid falling asleep at the wheel one tends to finds things to do.

About fifteen years ago, I picked up the harp and began to mess around with it; with not much luck. I talked to an old neighbor who played it and he gave me some tips; this was all the coaching I got. It wasn’t until about 3 years ago when I actually thought that I could play the thing and it was really by chance. I was in one of the local music stores looking to buy an amp and I was using my harmonica to test one out. The guy at the store started asking me questions as to whom I played with and how long I’ve played. I told him that I had only been playing for a short while and that I never played in a band. He told me, “you need to go out and have them scales heard.” And even with this, I still hadn’t fully accepted the fact that this is my talent. Me, I’m still thinking that I’m eventually going to learn how to play some guitar.

It wasn’t until about a year ago that I started to embrace the harp. I started to see the benefits to playing the harp over other instruments: I can carry it with me, I can mimic other sounds around me, how it’s so expressive, and that it’s a vehicle for me to express myself much like singing. After fully embracing the harp, I’ve made many gains with it. I’m getting to the point where I start playing and it feels like the harmonica takes over and plays itself. Picking up licks is not a difficult task or as difficult.

When I first join a band, just this last year, I felt that having a harp player is something that people could take or leave in a band. I’m beginning to see now that the other players see the harp as somewhat leverage over other blues bands; it adds an element to our sound that can’t be replicated with any distortion pedal or sound effect. It’s a versatile instrument, I can play it percussively; I can play it like a brass instrument; acoustically, or electric. And this is an advantage!

So it’s taken me a while to see the advantages or to embrace it. But once I did notice, it helped me to grow as a musician and to learn that it’s not what instrument you play but how you play it and how you use that instrument to say what it is that you feel.
eline
Regular

Postby FunkyStickman » Tue May 08, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks for sharing that, man. Very inspiring. And I definitely agree that harps add "something" to a band that you can't get any other way, especially if you're good at it.
FunkyStickman
Regular

embracing the harp

Postby jagarner70 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:47 pm

I have embraced the harp but I think I am the only one around me. When someone finds out I play I always get a reaction, You play what?, why would you? and so on. I usually dont tell people I play anymore. At some point people will hear me and they will know why I play but that is still a way off.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp